Double degree with EMLyon
EMLyon Business School is a French business school founded in Lyon/France in 1872 by the local business community. It is affiliated with the Lyon Chamber of Commerce and Industry and currently holds the triple accreditation: EQUIS, AMBA, and AACSB. According to the Financial Times, EMLyon belongs to the top 20 European business schools and the top 10 Masters in Management programmes worldwide.
The double degree option is an extraordinary opportunity to obtain two degrees in four semesters:
- Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration awarded by Hanken School of Economics and the
- Master in Management awarded by EMLyon Business School.
Successful completion of a double degree offers many benefits. These include, for example:
- Two universities, two cultures - By experiencing two different university systems and cultures, you can further develop your individual personality and enhance your awareness of cultural differences.
- The strengths of two top institutions - You benefit from the strengths of both universities and thus expand your subject-specific and methodological perspectives.
- Networks - As a graduate you become a member of the alumni networks of both Hanken and EMLyon. This improves your value both on the national and international job markets.
Double degree structure
As a double degree student, you complete the course requirements based on the existing agreement between Hanken School of Economics and EMLyon Business School.
A 6-month internship (or e.g. 3 months + 3 months) is mandatory for the EM Lyon part of the double degree – previous relevant work experience may be validated too. The double degree programme is carried out at the two universities as follows:
First year of studies:
Autumn semester at Hanken School of Economics
Spring semester at EM Lyon, France
Possible internship (e.g. 3 months) during the summer
Second year of studies:
Autumn semester at EM Lyon, France
Spring semester at Hanken School of Economics
Semester 2: Core courses worth 25 ECTS from EM Lyon's Master's in Management programme, and
Semester 3. Elective courses worth 25 ECTS.
Semester 1 and Semester 4 are spent at Hanken (maximum of 74 ECTS):
Core courses from the Business and Management programme (24 ECTS),
Language courses (6 ECTS),
A research seminar course (6 ECTS),
A research methods course (8 ECTS), and the
Master's thesis (30 ECTS). The master's thesis will be written at and supervised by Hanken during the fourth semester, and its writing may exceed the spring semester, which ends on uly 31st, making the total study time possibly a little more than 4 semesters.
Summary of requirements for completing the double degree
The requirements for Hanken double degree students to graduate from EM Lyon are
- 6 months of relevant work experience at Master's level. Hanken students have the possibility to validate this experience before attending EM Lyon or during the summer session, or after the programme at EM Lyon. EM Lyon will assist double degree students in finding a suitable internship. If a relevant work experience has been completed before enrolling in EM Lyon Business School, it must be validated through an EM Lyon document titled "Evaluation du Stagiaire Programme MSc" duly filled in by your direct internship supervisor.
- At least 50 ECTS credits of core and elective courses at EMLyon.
- Core courses at Hanken (24 ECTS)
- A methods course at Hanken, or at EM Lyon (on top of 50 ECTS), (5-8 ECTS)
- A research seminar course at Hanken (6 ECTS)
- Language courses (6 ECTS). Students from Hanken are able to take language courses at EM Lyon. EM Lyon does not provide ECTS credits for the language courses but the number of contact hours can be validated as ECat Hanken.
- A final Master's thesis completed at Hanken (30 ECTS credits)
Fulfilling all the requirements within the double degree most likely will prolong your studies so that you cannot graduate within two years from Hanken.
This means that:
- If you are a tuition fee-paying student this means that you will have to pay tuition fees for possibly more than two academic years.
- If you are a Hanken international Scholarship Student, the tuition fee waiver is valid for 2 ½ academic year (that is until the end of December the third academic year). However, if you are a Premium Scholarship student, the living expense part of your scholarship is only paid for 2 academic years.
Admission to the double degree programme
When applying for admission to the track International Strategy and Sustainability within the specialisation Business and Management, the applicant can simultaneously choose to apply for the double degree programme. On the application form, there is a specific question regarding the programme and therefore no separate application is needed.
Please check the additional admission criteria on the admissions page.
A maximum of 2 students per academic year are accepted into the double degree programme within the track International Strategy and Sustainability. In 2020 intake, only applicants through the main admission round can be accepted to the Double Degree programme.
Fees and scholarships
Participating students are exempt from tuition fees at the host institution. Nevertheless, additional costs might incur through travelling from one university to the other or by higher living expenses abroad.
Hanken provides a scholarship for the period of studies at EMLyon. You do not need to apply for the scholarship seperately but will receive info concerning the scholarship before your departure to EMLyon.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the programme.