Insurance and health services
Insurance and health services
- All students arriving in Finland must have sufficient insurance.
- Exchange students must buy the insurance in the home country before leaving for Finland.
- Ensure that you are fully covered in case of illness or accident during your travels to and from Finland and your entire stay here.
- Ensure that you are covered also for public liability and that your personal possessions are covered against theft, loss or breakage.
- Hanken is not able to take any responsibility for exchange students in case of illness or accident.
- With proper insurance coverage you can use private health care services in Finland.
- EU/EEA nationals who have the European health insurance card (EHIC) are partly covered by national public health care.
- Up until 31.12.2020 exchange students can also use the services of the Finnish Student Health Services https://www.yths.fi/en/frontpage/
You can take out insurance from an insurance company in your home country or from an international insurance company. Finnish Immigration Services recommend a few international insurance providers on their web page https://migri.fi/en/insurance
The Marsh Student Insurance Program (SIP) is a private insurance suitable for both non-EU/EEA and EU/EEA students coming to Finland. The insurance policy has been negotiated in agreement with the Finnish Immigration Services, it is pre-approved and safe to buy at an affordable price. For more information and to buy the Marsh SIP insurance, please go to www.sipinsurance.eu
Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries:
You must have proper insurance in order to be eligible for a residence permit. Follow the guidelines by Finnish Immigration on what the insurance should include. The Marsh SIP Student Insurance Programme is valid insurance for your residence permit application to Finland. With proper insurance coverage you can use private health care services in Finland. The costs will be reimbursed according to the rules of your insurance (often in retrospect).
SIP Integral takes into account the requirements of Finnish authorities and has been especially designed for persons who do not benefit from the national health care system. SIP Integral reimburses your medical costs in full. The cost is approximately EUR 150-200 per semester depending on the length of your stay.
Nationals of EU/EEA countries:
You are partly covered by the Finnish social security system. You should get the European health insurance card EHIC (free of charge) from your local health care authority and bring it with you. It is also strongly recommended to take out an insurance even though you are partly covered by national health care. Insurance is more than health care: legal assistance, public liability, accidents, loss of luggage and personal affects.
SIP Complement is meant for persons who have access to the national health care system (with the EU health card). The cost is approximately 90-120 EUR per semester depending on the length of your stay.