Fees and funding

Information about tuition fees and scholarships for students and required funds for immigration.

Tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students

All non-EU/EEA students admitted to the Master's Degree Programme in English are required to pay tuition fees at all universities in Finland. There are certain exemptions:

The fees will not concern those non-EU/EEA students who

  • - are family members of an EU/EEA citizen (spouse/child; "EU –Family Memb" stated on the recidence permit card)
  • - are already residing in Finland on a permanent basis (i.e. are equivalent to EU citizens, continuous (A) or permanent (P/P-EU) residence permit type)

More information concerning the exemptions to the requirement of tuition fee is found in the national application portal StudyInfo.

Hanken also offers a comprehensive scholarship system to support fee-paying students.

For EU citizens university education is free of charge.

Tuition fee

The fee for non-EU/EEA students at Hanken is 12500 EUR/year.

The tuition fee is to be paid as following:

  • - First year students: both instalments need to be paid by 15 July, if studies are to start in August that same year, as it is mandatory in Finland to register as present for the full first year of studies after admission. Students are allowed to pay the full tuition fee in one single instalment, too.
  • - Second+ year students: first instalment is to be paid by 1 June, if studies are to continue during the Fall semester. The instalment for the Spring semester needs to be paid by 30 November.


Student Union membership fee

All students in Finland regardless of nationality are obliged to pay an annual student union membership fee.

More info on the student union fee is available on the Hanken Student Union's home page.

Immigration requirements concerning funding

Applicants must ensure that they have adequate funds to support themselves financially through their entire period of study in Finland. In order to be granted a residence permit, non-EU/EEA citizens are required to show that they have at least 6720 EUR/year or 560 EUR/month at their disposal.

See further information on the Finnish Immigration Service page. International students who cannot show proof of sufficient funds for living expenses during their studies in Finland will not obtain a residence permit.