Residence permit

Information regarding Finnish residence permit.

For whom?

If you are a citizen of an EU member state, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you are NOT required to have a residence permit for Finland.

Citizens from other than the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland must obtain a student residence permit before entering Finland.

Apply online:

The application needs the following attachments:

  • Acceptance letter from Hanken
  • Documents verifying financial resources (that you have at least 560 eur per month for the duration of your stay)
  • Health Insurance (must cover medical expenses up to 120 000 eur)

Then you go to a Finnish embassy or consulate (  to identify yourself and then you wait for their decision. The processing time of the application for a residence permit varies, but can take several months. Therefore we strongly recommend that the admitted student submit an application for a residence permit immediately upon receipt of the Acceptance letter (April/May or October respectively).