Working during your studies

The Master's Degree Programme at Hanken is composed of full-time studies and therefore students should not plan to work full-time while studying.

The need to be present at lectures at Hanken differ from course to course. Courses with group work can require you to meet up with your fellow students on regular basis. The contact hours for most courses are listed in the course description of each course in the study tool Weboodi.

However, having a part-time job during your studies can give you valuable work experience which is one of the things employers tend to look for in graduates entering the labour market. Many higher education students work part-time, either in the evenings, or during weekends. Most also try to find a summer job for the months from June to late August.

It’s important to know that a part-time job can be hard to find, especially if you don’t speak the language. Therefore, you shouldn’t plan your finances solely on the possibility of finding employment. Also bear in mind that a salary from a part-time job would most likely not cover all of your living expenses. 

How much am I allowed to work during my studies in Finland?

Nordic or EU/EEA national: You don’t need any permits for working during your studies. There are no restrictions as to how many hours per week you are allowed to work, just make sure that work doesn’t get in the way of your study progress.

Non-EU student: You can work within certain limits on a student residence permit if the work is practical training included in your degree or if the amount of your part-time work does not exceed 25 hours a week. There are no limits in terms of hours on full-time work outside term times (summer and Christmas holidays specifically).

See also the web service of the Finnish Immigration Service Migri.