JOO studies at another university

Do you, as a student enrolled at Hanken, want to complete courses at another university, within a subject that Hanken does not offer?

Hanken's students wanting to complete JOO studies at another university

In order for you to be granted JOO study right att another university, Hanken as home university must first approve your application, i.e. grant you statement of approval. Only after you have our a statement of approval, you can send in your application to your target university, i.e. the university you want to complete JOO-studies at. Please note that there is a specific application period for every participating university, so you need to check both Hanken´s deadline for granting statement of approval and your target university´s deadline for application for JOO-study right.

Send in you application for statement of approval in time before the deadline:

  • Students in Helsinki apply for statement of approval at the latest in the middle of April for courses given during the following autumn semester and in the middle of October for courses given during the following spring semester.
  • Students in Vaasa can continuously apply for statement of approval. The processing time is two weeks. Note that this does not apply during vacation times, so take this into consideration when sending in your application.

If you are a student at Hanken, and wish to apply for the right to complete a course at another university, please visit one of Hanken's study counsellors before submitting your application (the visit is mandatory!). 

  • You will have to complete your study plan in Sisu before submitting your application. The study plan has to include all your compulsory courses and the JOO courses that you wish to complete at the other university. Please note that if you wish to include JOO studies in your degree, the study plan should not exceed 120 credits (M.Sc) / 180 credits (BSc) - if you need help with this, please visit the Office of Study Affairs during opening hours well in advance before application deadline
  • JOO study right is granted for a maximum of 15 credits / student / degree for bachelor and master's students
  • You need to attach course descriptions for the course or courses you want to take
  • Doctoral students need to get the course approved by their degree supervisor. Information about the courses offered by other universities is found on the web pages of the other university.

You can mainly apply for the right to complete studies within majors that are not offered at Hanken, such as psychology or pedagogics.

Students in Helsinki apply for statement of approval here: Opens in new window

Students in Vaasa apply for statement of approval here: Opens in new window

Changes are planned regarding the national agreement on flexible study rights. The changes will affect both the study offering and the application process. The process outlined above expires after the academic year 2024-25.