Hanken was the first university in Finland to be accepted as a member and to sign the principles of Responsible Management Education. The Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) initiative is the first organised relationship between the United Nations (UN) and business schools. The mission of PRME is to inspire and champion responsible management education, research, and thought leadership globally.
The six PRME principles are:
- Principle 1 | Purpose: We will develop the capabilities of students to be future generators of sustainable value for business and society at large and to work for an inclusive and sustainable global economy.
- Principle 2 | Values: We will incorporate into our academic activities and curricula the values of global social responsibility as portrayed in international initiatives such as the United Nations Global Compact.
- Principle 3 | Method: We will create educational frameworks, materials, processes and environments that enable effective learning experiences for responsible leadership.
- Principle 4 | Research: We will engage in conceptual and empirical research that advances our understanding about the role, dynamics, and impact of corporations in the creation of sustainable social, environmental and economic value.
- Principle 5 | Partnership: We will interact with managers of business corporations to extend our knowledge of their challenges in meeting social and environmental responsibilities and to explore jointly effective approaches to meeting these challenges.
- Principle 6 | Dialogue: We will facilitate and support dialog and debate among educators, students, business, government, consumers, media, civil society organisations and other interested groups and stakeholders on critical issues related to global social responsibility and sustainability.
More information on PRME and its principles can be found here!
Hanken as a PRME Champions School:
In 2013 Hanken was selected as one of 30 schools globally to become a PRME Champion Institution. PRME Champions are institutions that have made an ambitious commitment to work collaboratively to develop responsible management education. The PRME Champions group works to refine what leadership means in the space of responsible management education, identify criteria for recognition of progress, and lay out a road map for continuous improvement by all in the PRME community. The group has also pledged to engage PRME more actively with United Nations agencies, funds, and programmes, as well as participant companies of the UN Global Compact.
Hanken continued as a PRME champions School for 2016-2017, 2018-2019, 2020-2021, and now for the 2022-2023 cycle.
Read the PRME news item here!