Fees and Funding Bachelor

Information about tuition fees and scholarships for students and required funds for immigration.


  • All non-EU/EEA students admitted to Bachelor's or Master's degree studies in English in Finland are required to pay tuition fees.
  • For EU citizens university education is free of charge.

Other fees

Applicants must ensure that they have adequate funds to support themselves financially through their entire period of study in Finland.

  • In order to be granted a residence permit, non-EU/EEA citizens are required to show that they have at least 6720 EUR/year or 560 EUR/month at their disposal.
  • International students who cannot show proof of sufficient funds for living expenses during their studies in Finland will not obtain a residence permit.

See further information on the Finnish Immigration Service page

All university students in Finland regardless of nationality are obliged to pay an annual student union membership fee.

  • By paying the fee, students annually register as present for the academic year.
  • At the Student Union of Hanken School the membership fee is around 70 euros/year.


The Student Union membership includes

  • access to student discounts on public transport, long distance train and buses, stores, student restaurant meals, student gym Unisport and much more.

  • access to student housing. 

  • that the Student Union at Hanken School of Economics (SHS) looks after your interest as a students in society and at the university.

  • possibility to participate in the many activities and use the facilities of the Student Union.

More info on the student union fee is available on the Hanken Student Union's home page Opens in new window .

The student health care fee is mandatory for most students. The only exception is if you have social security coverage in another EU/EEA country or in Switzerland or the United Kingdom. If you belong to this group, you must send KELA (The Social Insurance Instiution) a copy of your valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or or the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). By doing so, you are allowed to use the FSHS student health care services. More info on the page listed below.

  • You cannot get an exemption for example for using occupational health services instead of FSHS, or for not receiving any financial aid for students.
  • The fee is paid to the Social Insurance Instituion of Finland called Kela once per term (spring and autumn), i.e., twice a year.
  • The amount that must be paid is defined in a Government Decree and may vary from year to year, at the moment it is around 35 euros/academic term.

Read more about the health care fee for higher education students and the deadline for the payments on the KELA webpage.