Registration as absent the first year of enrolment

If you wish to register as absent the first year of enrolment, you are only allowed to do so based on legal reasons and by presenting the required documentation.

According to the Universities Act, first year students kan only register as absent due to the legal reasons listed below. The required documentation is also listed below. 


The following legal grounds for your absence are accepted:

  1. Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
    Document required: Call-up order
  2. The student needs time off his/her studies to take care of a child in regard to the child’s birth or adoption (14.1.2022/52)
    Document required:
    • Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity, or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy 
    • Corresponding certificates from the authorities of another country regarding statutory parental leave
  3. Being incapacitated by personal illness or injury
    Document required
    • Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies in the autumn 2024.
    • Obsticle which relate to practical arrangement due to illness or injury: a sufficient record, e.g. the Student Housing Associations certificate that the student is queueing for such an apartment which the illness or injury requires. A notification from the student themself is not sufficient documentation.

The certificate for abscence must be issued in Swedish, Finnish or English and the registration as absent must be completed no later than 31.7.2024 at 15.00. 


How do I register as absent?

In order to register as absent, you need to

  1. Confirm your admission offer before the set deadline.
  2. Choose the alternative that you register as absent on the registration for the academic year.
  3. Submit an official certificate of the legal reason no later than 31.7.2024. If you do not act in this manner, you must register as present for the whole academic year in order to keep your study right. 

Should the legal grounds for your absence only apply to the second academic term (e.g. military service or maternity leave beginning in January), you may register as absent for the entire academic year if you wish to. 

Note that if you since previously hold another study right at Hanken and you receive a new one study right, you can only register as absent for the academic year 2024-2025 if you have a legal reasons for the absence. 

If you have not registered as described above before the deadline, you will loose your study right. If you later wish to commence your studies, you will have to apply for re-matriculation and either register as present or present documentation for legal reasons for abscence as decriebed for first year students.


Do you need more info?

Contact the Admissions Services

Students who have been registered as absent during the first year of enrolment
  • All students who have been registered as absent during the first year of enrolment will receive an e-mail during the summer the following year on how to register as present for the second year of enrolment.