Master's studies in Economics
Our programme offers you a balanced mix of a broad perspective and a deep insight into economic theory. The curriculum is designed to match the demand for professional economists in business and government.
Upon graduation you will be
» ready to take on challenges in rapidly changing contexts
» trained to use economic data
» an expert at communicating your findings
» able to visualise the larger context of economics and influence policy
Facts about the degree
- 120 credits, 2 years of full-time study
- Language: English
- Degree: MSc in Economics and Business Administration
- Location: Helsinki
Majoring in Economics
The specialisation builds on a logically consistent structure, which relies on rational criteria for decision-making. Economics offers perspectives on essential features of all types of markets ranging from local retailers to global currency markets.
The Master's studies consist of compulsory core courses in
- specialised courses in other important fields of economics
The courses oriented towards microeconomics deal with
- analysis of competition with a focus on how firms, organizations, and industries should be organised to achieve efficiency
- analysis of corporate strategies to create sustainable competitive advantages and of asset markets characterized by incomplete information
Courses offered in macroeconomics focus on
- economic policy
- why we have structural unemployment and how it can be reduced
- why monetary policy should be conducted by an independent central bank
- which policy options are available to overcome the financial crisis
Courses and outline of studies
The extensive spectrum of high-quality courses offered is made possible through our close cooperation with our two partners within Helsinki Graduate School of Economics Helsinki GSE. This collaboration means that you'll be able to choose courses from both Aalto University School of Economics and the University of Helsinki. As of 2020, also Hanken's admitted students will be offered the possibility to complete courses within the Research Master's program, through the Hanken & GSE cooperation.
As a student majoring in Economics you also have the opportunity to top up your degree with the QTEM certificate (Quantitative Techniques for Economics and Management). This is your opportunity to earn a degree within a network of leading business schools and corporate partners. All partners are committed to developing global talent with strong quantitative competencies, analytical skills, international and intercultural experience, and management potential.
Future career opportunities
Up to 98% of the 2018 & 2017 graduates had found employment within 6 months of completing their degree and to get an overview of how the careers of Hanken's Alumni look like, visit our Career Services' Explore Careers pages!
Our alumni from Economics have job titles such as:
- Chief Financial Officer, Researcher, Consultant - and many more!
- And note that the Helsinki Graduate School of Economics cooperation enables our students to start a career within research early on, already during their Master's studies.
We are also proud of our Hanken International Talent initiative, where newly-admitted international MSc students are matched with Finnish companies for mentoring!
We encourage are students to gain international experience! We definitely recommend students to complete an internship and support students in finding a placement. A QTEM internship or a semester abroad through the QTEM cooperation, or at one of Hanken’s partner universities, can be incorporated into the programme as an optional component if the planning for it already starts during the fall of the first academic year.