Application Documents

The application is made electronically. Enclosures should be uploaded in the application form.

The electronic application form and all documents mentioned below are mandatory for all applicants to the Hanken PhD Programme. You should upload the documents no later than by the given deadline.

1. Copy of your passport

2. Curriculum vitae

3. Statement of purpose

All applicants to the Hanken PhD programme are required to answer the questions in this form. Answer the questions in this form, save it as a pdf, and upload it to your application in Hanken does not accept any other motivational letters or statements of purpose.


4. Research proposal

Every applicant should submit a Research Proposal or a short description of the intended field of research. For more information, please see Advice on Setting up a Research Proposal

5. Academic text

  • You should be the sole author to the text (or at least it should be clear which part you have written)
  • The text should be written in English or in Swedish (max 7000 words)
  • The text can be a previously written text, for example a part of your Master's thesis, or work done in connection with a completed course
  • It is important that you are satisfied with the quality of the text
  • The content of the text does not need to be connected with the major you are applying for

6. Officially certified copies of your Bachelor's and Master's Degree Diplomas and Transcripts of Records, and a Diploma Supplement

Non Finnish degrees

Please submit officially certified copies of your Bachelor's and Master's degree diplomas and transcripts of records, and a Diploma Supplement (or other official description of the degree and grading system for the degree in question). Please check the country specific requirements. If the country where you have conducted your degree is listed, you should follow the country specific requirements for that country. If the country of your institution is not on the list, you should follow the general instructions.

Country Specific Requirements.pdf

Country Specific Requirements.pdf

For any university level courses/achievements that are not included in your university level Master's and Bachelor's degrees and which you want to be considered in the evaluation of your application, you need to include certified copies of transcripts of records.

Please note, we also accept the following electronic transcript verification services:

Finnish degrees

Applicants with a Master’s degree from Finland do not need to send officially certified copies of their degree certificate and transcript of records if the degrees can be verified electronically through the admission portal.

If we are unable to find information about your degree, please be prepared to send in officially certified copies of your educational documents. All applications can be supplemented until February 2, 2021 at 15:00 (GMT +2)

What does officially certified mean?

Copies of educational documents need to be officially certified (attested). Hanken does not accept regular photocopies of educational documents. The copy needs to have an official stamp and a signature by the certifying officer. Documents can be officially certified either by the awarding institution or a public notary (in Finland Maistraatti).

Please make sure that the documents meet the following criteria:

1. Copies are taken directly from your original educational documents

2. Include every page of your educational documents

3. Bear the original stamp of the awarding institution/notary public on each page of the document (e.g. a generic stamp stating only “Certified true copy” will not be accepted)

4. Bear the original signature of the certifying officer

Official translations

If your educational documents are issued in a language other than English, Finnish or Swedish, official translations of them to one of these languages are required. Officially certified copies of the original documents must also be submitted.

An official translation must be one of the following:

  1. Issued by the awarding institution

  2. An officially certified copy of a translation issued by the awarding institution

  3. Translated by an official translator (original document)

  4. An officially certified copy of a translation made by an official translator

Each page of an official translation must bear the translator’s stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents. Translations done by the applicant him- or herself are not accepted.

6.1 Provisional documentation to enclose if you graduate after the application deadline

If you graduate after the application deadline you can apply for admission by enclosing provisional documentation according to the deadline decided for the current admissions round. Please see Instructions for enclosing provisional documentation:

7. GPA and GMAT/GRE tests

All applicants are required to fulfil Hanken's qualitative requirement which consists of either the GMAT or GRE test or a sufficient GPA depending on which group you belong to:

Group A

  • Applicants applying with a qualifying a degree obtained in an EU/EEA country, Switzerland or who have a degree from one of Hanken's partner Universities.

Applicants who belong to Group A need to meet the following requirements:

  • GPA is a minimum B on a US grading scale (3.0 out of 5.0 Finnish scale)

You can check if your GPA meets the requirements with the WES World Education Systems online grading scale conversion tool. If there is no conversion table for your country, Hanken will convert your GPA on a case-to-case basis.

If the GPA in the qualifying degree does not meet the set requirements, you need take either the GMAT or GRE admission test and obtain a minimum test score as listed below under Group B.

  • All applicants who belong to Group A are required to calculate their GPA (on the grading scales used in their degree) for the studies included in the qualifying degree and state the calculated GPA in the application form.
  • Applicants also need to submit an official certificate where the GPA in question is clearly stated if such a certificate can be issued by the degree awarding institution. The certificate can be either the degree certificate, transcript of records or a separate official certificate issued by the degree awarding institution.
  • If the applicant does not submit an official certificate where the GPA is clearly stated with their application, Hanken will verify that the GPA calculated by the applicant is correct. Hanken reserves the right to decide whether the applicant fulfils the GPA requirement or not.
  • Applicants who have not yet graduated at the time of applying, are required to calculate the GPA for the qualifying degree for the courses which are included in the transcript of records submitted with the application and, if possible, submit an official certificate where the GPA in question is clearly stated. Note that when applying and submitting your application, your GPA needs to fulfil the requirement even if you have not graduated yet.

 Group B

  • Applicants who are applying based on a degree obtained in a country outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland

Applicants who belong to Group B need to meet the following requirement:


You can check if your GRE score is equivalent to 600 in GMAT by using the ETS official score conversion tool.

Exempted from this rule are applicants who have completed the qualifying degree at one of Hanken's partner universities and whose GPA meets the GPA requirement of at least Grade B (US grading scale). For more information, please see above (Group A).

NOTE: The UK belongs to Group B, regardless of when you completed your degree.

  • The last date to take the GMAT or GRE test is 19 January 2022.​ Hence, the actual test result may reach Hanken after the application deadline.

To have the test result sent directly to Hanken, please indicate the following codes when you make the request:

GRE 8433

 8. Certificate of knowledge of Swedish or English

Please see the Language Requirements for types of certificates to submit or test results required. If you need to submit a language proficiency test result, it needs to be taken no later than by the application deadline. In case the test organiser should send the official score report to Hanken, the request needs to be made before the application deadline. You may, in addition, attach an unofficial score report to your application in case you already have one, or send it by e-mail. In order to be considered for admission, the certificate / score report needs to be official, valid, and fulfil the language requirements (including minimum scores). NB! The certificate for exemption from the language test requirement also needs be uploaded with the degree documents. 

9. Reference letters 

Applicants should register at least one academic referee in the online application form and ensure that the reference letter(s) is submitted online (directly by the referee(s)) by the application deadline of January 19, 2022. References will not be accepted after the deadline. 

10. Major Specific Enclosures

In addition to the above-mentioned mandatory documents for all applicants, please also see possible Major Specific Requirements and include documents accordingly.

Contact details: doctoral.studies(at)