Get a PhD in Business and Economics
Why a PhD at Hanken? We offer you:
- A 4-year PhD programme leading to a degree that will prepare you for a career at top universities, research institutions, and companies.
- Financial support - salaried position including health care, and support in finding funding. We do not charge tuition fees.
- An international, world-class research environment
- Experienced supervisors at the cutting edge of their research fields
- Individually tailored guidance and studies
- Flexible and supportive service
- Access to prominent international networks
- Study in Finland, the happiest country on earth - either in downtown Helsinki, or in the energy capital of the North, Vaasa (west coast).
Who we are
Hanken is a leading, top-5 university business school in the Nordics – featuring the triple-crown accreditation (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA). Our research ranks in top 5 among Scandinavian/Nordic business schools in terms of research published in top journals of business and economics, and in top 10 of all universities in the world in terms of research citation rate.
Who you are
We welcome applications from research-oriented students holding a Master’s degree; Masters with other than business study background are also warmly welcomed to apply (e.g., masters in statistics, psychology, systems analysis, industrial engineering).
The PhD studies are in English (Finnish or Swedish language are not needed in studies).
Please notice that many of the majors welcome you to apply to their programme even if you had a Master’s degree from a whole different discipline. For instance, you may apply to:
- the Marketing major with a Master’s degree in psychology, sociology, social anthropology, management, economics, information/computer science, statistics, systems analysis, or industrial engineering (besides a MSc in marketing)
- the Supply Chain Management & Social Responsibility major with industrial engineering, systems analysis, transport economics, transport geography, disaster management, development studies, humanitarian studies, corporate social responsibility, environmental management, or technology management (besides a MSc in SCM)
- the Commercial Law major with a Master’s degree in law, sociology, political science, philosophy, literature, language, medicine, biology, physics, engineering, or technology management (besides a MSc in Law)
- the Accounting major with a Master’s degree in finance (besides a MSc in accounting)
- the Finance major with a Master’s degree in econometrics, statistics, mathematics, or physics (besides a MSc in finance)
- the Management and Organisation with a Master’s degree with any relevant discipline (besides a MSc in management/organisations)
- the Economics major with a Master’s degree with any relevant discipline (besides a MSc in economics)
Notice that although the majors welcome applications from Masters of a variety of disciplines, most majors require the applicant to have some background studies/courses done within the major (or related to the major).
The next steps
We welcome applications from people with a wide variety of academic backgrounds (e.g. economics, business, political science, psychology, sociology, and engineering).
The next possibility to apply will open on December 1st 2021 and close January 19th 2022 (studies start in September 2022). The application is made electronically, apply through the application form in Studyinfo.fi Please read the instructions on the form carefully and remember to upload all the mandatory enclosures.
Read about the programme structure and funding
The Hanken PhD Programme corresponds to four years of full-time studies, during which you produce a doctoral thesis (180 credit points) and complete 60 ECTS credit points of coursework.
Read more about the programme through the links at the bottom of the page.
Read about the application process
Please read the instructions carefully and ascertain that you fulfil the General Requirements and possible Major Specific Requirements for admission to doctoral studies.
Contact us with any questions
If you are unsure whether the discipline/background of your Master’s degree qualifies you to apply to that major, or whether your research topic would be suitable for the major - please contact the PhD programme coordinator: email@example.com