Insurance and health services

Insurance and health services


All students arriving in Finland must have sufficient health coverage. Exchange students must buy the insurance in the home country before leaving for Finland. Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries must have the health insurance in order to be eligible for a residence permit. Nationals of the EU member states are partly covered by the Finnish social security system, but must make sure they are fully covered for illness and accidents before leaving their home country.

The Marsh SIP International Student Health Insurance

The Marsh SIP International Student Health Insurance is a private insurance suitable for both non-EU/EEA and EU students coming to Finland. The insurance policy has been negotiated in agreement with the Finnish Immigration Services, it is pre-approved and safe to buy at an affordable price. For more information and to buy the Marsh SIP insurance, please go to

Health care

You should contact your local health authority and insurance agency at home to make sure that you are fully covered in case of illness or accident during your travels to and from Finland and your entire stay here. In case of illness, if you come from an EU or EEA country you are covered by your national health care insurance during your stay in Finland. You should get the European health care card from your local health care authority and bring it with you. As a visiting student in Finland, you are entitled to use the Student Health Service (YTHS) when you join the Hanken Student union and receive the Student ID-card. The Student union fee includes the health care fee. Consultation, general treatment and vaccinations are free at the Student Health Service, for specialists' appointment and dental treatment there is inexpensive treatment. However, the Student health Service doesn't offer emergency and hospital services. The web address of the Student Health Centre is

If you choose to use public health services, they, too, are inexpensive. If you prefer to use private health service there is a higher fee.

Hanken is not able to take any responsibility for exchange students in case of illness or accident. Please, ensure that you, and your belongings, are sufficiently insured during your entire stay in Finland. Do not forget to contact your insurance company at home and buy your insurance before you take off to Finland.