Information Systems Science (Helsinki)
- 113 Computer and information sciences
- 512 Business and Management
- 518 Media and communications
- 222 Other engineering and technologies
- 113 Data- och informationsvetenskap
- 512 Företagsekonomi
- 518 Medie- och kommunikationsvetenskap
- 222 Övrig teknik och teknologi
Doctor of Science (Economics and Business Administration), Business Economics, Hanken School of Economics, Finland, 2014
Ekon. dr, företagsekonomi, Hanken Svenska handelshögskolan, Finland, 2014
I am an Associate Professor at Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki Finland. I have been researching the changing landscape towards openness in scholarly publishing by studying combinations of bibliometrics, web metrics, business models, science policy, and author behavior for close to 10 years. I defended my PhD thesis on the subject of Open Access journal publishing in 2014.
In addition to research I am also active in open science advocacy. I am currently a member of the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 expert group on Future of Scholarly Publishing and scholarly Communication. I am also the chairman of both the national working group on open publishing practices as part of the Open Science Initiative managed by the Ministry of Education and Culture, and the FinnOA working group. Additionally I am a member of the strategy group supporting journal publisher negotiations on behalf of the Finnish university library consortium (FinElib).
Recently I was appointed a panel member of the Finnish Publication Forum (in Finnish often referred to as JUFO) for the years 2018-2021, which is a rating and classification system supporting the quality assessment of research output.
Mikael has been teaching on the following courses at Hanken:
- 2558 Project Management (8 ECTS)
Main teacher 2012-2018
- 2572 Management Information Systems (8 ECTS)
- 1136-1 Informatics (3 ECTS)
- 2546 Computer Programming (6 ECTS)