Grading of studies

Grading of studies during Autumn 2020. The grading scale at Hanken will change starting from 1.1.2021. Read more below!

The student should demonstrate that he or she has acquired the knowledge and skills set out as the learning goals for a course by completing the course as outlined in the description of the course. An examiner (or several examiners) will be appointed for each course. The examiner is in charge of delivering the course and of assessing the completed course components.

The courses and modules within the basic, intermediate and advanced studies are assessed according to a percentage scale, where 50 per cent is required for passing. The percentage scale for passed, completed courses corresponds to the five-point scale of excellent, very good, good, satisfactory and sufficient.

90-100 E = Excellent
80-89 VG = Very Good
70-79 G = Good
60-69 S = Satisfactory
50-59 SU = Sufficient
0-49 F = Fail

A final grade for the degree certificate is calculated for the major and minor study modules on the basis of the average for qualitatively assessed completed courses weighted per credit. The master's thesis is not included in the weighted final grade; the grade is given separately.

Grades that have been assessed qualitatively according to the above-mentioned scale cannot be changed to the grade "pass". Completed courses can also not be removed from the study register upon the student's request.

Average grade (GPA)

On the inofficial transcript of records which you can order in WebOodi, you can see the average grade of all your courses in the end of the transcript. The courses are listed by subject and you can also see the average grade for each subject.

Example 1 - Courses with the weight 1:

You have completed a 5 credit course with a grade of 95 points and a 10 credit course with a grade of 75, the average is calculated in the following way: (5 cr*95 + 10 cr*75) / (5+10cr) = 81,66. When you apply for your degree certificate, your average for the major subject will be rounded up/down to the closest whole number which would be 82 in this example.

Example 2 - Courses with different weights (applies if you have completed courses before 1.8.2018):

You have completed a 5 credit course with a grade of 95 points and weight 2 and a 10 credit course with a grade of 75 and weight 1, the average is calculated in the following way: (5 sp*2*95 + 10 sp*1*75)/ (5*2+10*1 sp) = 85

The average grade (GPA) in the master’s degree

If you want to calculate what your average grade will be in the master’s degree, please do this: first calculate the average grade of the advanced level courses that you have completed from your major subject's/track's study plan of advanced and programme specific courses. Bachelor level courses will not be part of the average grade of your major studies in the master’s degree certificate. When calculating the average for the major studies, bear this in mind: if you have completed advanced level courses before 1 August 2018 you can choose whether all of them continue to have the weight 2 or if all of them are changed to have the weight 1. Read more about this on under the headline Weighting of Course Grades. Please note that the master’s thesis is not counted towards the average, the seminar course is however part of the average grade. When calculating the average for the major subject, please make sure to round it up/down to the closest whole number before calculating the average for the degree as a whole.

NB! It is possible to leave out extra electives from the degree if you have completed more than 120 cr. The courses not included in the degree will naturally not affect the average grade of the degree.

Legal protection concerning grading

A student has the right to know how the assessment criteria have been applied to his or her academic work (University Decree 115/1998 § 16 subsection 2.). Academic work includes all the theses, lectures and written or verbal exams which are a part of the curriculum. Requests for rectification may be submitted, orally or in writing, to the instructor who carried out the assessment within 14 days after the student has had access to the results. It is important to make clear to the instructor that it is a question not only about gathering information. If it is clearly a request for rectification and the instructor does not accept the request, the student may submit the matter to the university's board of appeals. This should be done in writing within 14 days after the student received the instructor's decision. Please hand in the request for rectification at the Student Service in Helsinki or to the Office of Study Affairs in Vaasa, the envelope should be addressed to the "Board of Appeals/Examensnämnden".

Written academic work will be kept for six months from the date of the publication of results. Students have the right to obtain copies of their academic work at their own expense.

The grading scale will change from 1.1.2021

Hanken has been the only university in Finland with the scale 50-100. A five-point scale, with the numerical values 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, where 1 is the lowest rating and 5 the highest is the most commonly used by other universities in Finland. In order to facilitate national teaching cooperation and to adapt to a forthcoming study register system change, the Education Council has on the 31st of March 2020 decided that Hanken will also move to the grade scale 1-5 as of the 1st of January 2021.

This implies that academic achievements complete after 1.1.2021 are assessed on the five-point scale.

In addition, if you graduate within the calendar year 2021 or later, your current grades from before 1.1.2021 will be converted in accordance to the new scale as follows:

90-100 -> 5
80-89 -> 4
70-79 -> 3
60-69 -> 2
50-59 -> 1

If you graduate (bachelor’s or master's) and your degree is issued and dated within the 2020 calendar year, your grades for courses included in the degree will not be affected.

Of course, at the time of conversion (January 2021), previously completed degrees will not be affected, but all other achievements' grades will be converted in accordance to the new scale. Achievements/courses graded pass/fail remain unchanged, but the master's thesis' current verbal grade (sufficient-excellent) will also be indicated by a number on the scale of 1-5. The significance of the figure in this case is directly comparable to the current five-degree verbal scale. What also remains unchanged is that the master's thesis’ grade is not included in the weighted average at the master's level, and that the grade for the bachelor's thesis course is explicitly included in the weighted average on the bachelor level.

After the change, any given grade will thus be an integer on the scale of 1-5. However, after the conversion, the new weighted average for study modules will be stated with two decimal places and thus will be in the range 1.00-5.00.

Om du beställer ett inofficiellt studieutdrag på WebOodi ser du ditt medeltal för alla kurser längst ner på studieutdraget med två decimalers noggrannhet. Kurserna grupperas ämnesvis och medeltalet framgår också skilt för varje ämne.

Exempel då kursvikten är 1:
En 5 sp kurs med vitsord 95 och en 10 sp kurs med vitsord 75. Då räknas medeltalet på dem ut så här: (5 sp*95 + 10 sp*75)/ (5+10 sp) = 81,66. När du ansöker om betyg och din examen registreras avrundas sedan medeltalet för huvudämnet till närmaste heltal, i detta exempel blir medeltalet 82

Exempel då du har kurser med olika vikter:
En 5 sp kurs med vitsord 95 och vikt 2 och en 10 sp kurs med vitsord 75 vikt 1. Då räknas medeltalet på dem ut så här: (5 sp*2*95 + 10 sp*1*75)/ (5*2+10*1 sp) = 85.

Om du vill räkna ut vilket medeltal du kommer att få i examen ska du göra så här: Räkna ut medeltalet för huvudämnet enligt formeln ovan. Du som avlagt kandidatavhandlingskursen före 1.8.2018 kan välja om vitsordet för kursen räknas in i medeltalet eller inte, läs mer på Kurserna Introduktion till företagets samhällsansvar och Statistisk analys hör till huvudämnet, och kommer i samband med att examen registreras att räknas med i medeltalet för huvudämnet. Efter att du räknat ut medeltalet för huvudämnet ska du avrunda medeltalet till närmaste heltal och räkna huvudämnet som en kurs på t.ex. 60 sp (eller det antal studiepoäng som din huvudämneshelhet utgör). Räkna även ut biämneshelheternas medeltal och avrunda till närmaste heltal innan du räknar ut hela examens medeltal.

Om du vill räkna ut vilket medeltal du kommer att få i magisterexamen ska du göra så här: räkna ihop medeltalet för alla dina fördjupade och programbundna kurser som ingår i ditt huvudämnes studieplan. Kurser på kandidatnivå kommer inte att registreras i den fördjupade huvudämneshelheten även om de ingår i ditt huvudämnes studieplan och kommer därmed inte att påverka medeltalet i huvudämnet. Du som avlagt fördjupade kurser före 1.8.2018 kan välja om kurserna räknas med dubbel vikt (vikt 2) eller enkel vikt (vikt 1), läs mer på under rubriken ”Alla kurser har samma vikt”. Observera att magisteravhandlingens vitsord inte räknas med i medeltalet, däremot räknas seminariekursens vitsord med i medeltalet. Avrunda medeltalet för huvudämnet till närmaste heltal innan du räknar ut hela examens medeltal.

OBS: Det är möjligt att exkludera överlopps valfria studier ur examen om du har avlagt mer än 120 sp. Dessa kurser kommer inte att inkluderas i din examen och påverkar inte ditt medeltal. Du kan meddela om sådana kurser när du lämnar in din betygsansökan.

Du har rätt att få veta hur bedömningsgrunderna tillämpats på din studieprestation. Studieprestationer är alla avhandlingar, föredrag och skriftliga eller muntliga förhör som ingår i studieplanen. Du får söka rättelse muntligt eller skriftligt hos den lärare som utfört bedömningen inom 14 dagar från att du fått ta del av resultatet. Det är viktigt att göra klart för läraren att det inte endast är fråga om att få information. Framgår det klart att det är fråga om ett yrkande på rättelse och bifaller inte läraren yrkandet, har du rätt att föra ärendet vidare till Hankens examensnämnd. Det här ska ske skriftligen inom 14 dagar från det att du fått del av beslutet av examinatorn.

Rättelse gällande avhandlingar söker du direkt hos högskolans examensnämnd.

Skriftliga och på annat sätt bevarade studieprestationer förvaras i sex månader från tidpunkten för resultatens offentliggörande. Du har rätt att på egen bekostnad få kopior av dina prestationspapper.

Examensnämnden är ett rättsmedelsorgan för prövning av rättelseyrkanden som gäller studieprestationer. Ordförande är professor Petra Sund-Norrgård. Nämnden har också studentrepresentation. Ärenden till examensnämnden kan lämnas in i Studentservice i Helsingfors eller studiebyrån i Vasa; på kuvertet ska anges "Examensnämnden".