Fees and funding

Information about tuition fees and scholarships for students and required funds for immigration.

Tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students

All non-EU/EEA students admitted to the Master's Degree Programme in English are required to pay tuition fees at all universities in Finland. There are certain exemptions:

The fees will not concern those non-EU/EEA students who

  • EU Blue Card in Finland
  • EU Family Member's Residence Card in Finland 
  • Continuous residence permit card in Finland, Type A permit (not applicable when issued based on studies)
  • EU residence permit for third-country citizens with long-term residence permit card in Finland (Type P-EU)
  • Permanent residence permit card in Finland, Type P permit
  • Proof from the Finnish Immigration Services that I have registered, or applied to register, my EU right to residence in Finland (UK citizens)
  • SEU-sopimuksen 50 artikla = Right of residence under the withdrawal agreement (UK citizens)
  • P SEU-sopimuksen 50 artikla = Right of permanent residence under the withdrawal agreement (UK citizens)

In order for a permit to be accepted as a ground for exemption from tutition fees, the residence permit needs to be valid on 1. August for the Autumn semester and on 1 January for the spring semester.  It is not sufficient to have a card renewal in process, but the student need to hold the sufficient residence permit on the above listed dates.

Finnish universities and universities of applied sciences make the decision whether you are required to pay fees or not based only on the Finnish Immigration Service’s residence permit decision, which is checked from the copy of your residence permit card attached to your application documents. If you have applied for residence permit but have not received the decision by the date when the tuition fee is due (see below), you will have to pay the fee.

More information concerning the exemptions to the requirement of tuition fee is found in the national application portal StudyInfo.

Hanken also offers a comprehensive scholarship system to support fee-paying students.

For EU citizens university education is free of charge.


UK citizens

Continuing UK degree students are exempt from tuition fees even after the 1st of January 2021 as long as they change their EU registration in Finland to EU right-to-residence in accordance with the withdrawal agreement (with Migri). This change of status must be applied between the 1st of October 2020 and the 30th of September 2021.

Proof of the EU right to residence (i.e. a relevant residence permit card), or proof that the student has applied for it (from Migri) is sufficient for exemption.

New UK degree students who have arrived in Finland prior to 31st of December 2020 must register their right to residence (in accordance with the withdrawal agreement) between the 1st of October 2020 and the 31st of December 2020 to be exempt from tuition fees. Registration or application before the end of 2020 exempts the student from tuition fees even if they start their studies (in degree programmes taught in English) after the 1st of January 2021. Proof of registration (i.e a relevant residence permit card) or pending application (from Migri) is required.


Tuition fee

The fee for non-EU/EEA students at Hanken is 12500 EUR/year.

The tuition fee is to be paid as following:

  • First year students: the full annual tuition fee is to be be paid by 1 June, if studies are to start in August that same year, as it is mandatory in Finland to register as present for the full first year of enrolment.
  • Second+ year students: first instalment is to be paid by 1 June, if studies are to continue during the Autumn semester. The instalment for the Spring semester needs to be paid by 30 November. 
  • If a student does not pay the tuition fee timely (or register as absent*), they have neglected the annual registration and will lose their right to study at Hanken.  Students however have the right to apply for re-matriculation if they pay the tuition fees and an additional re-matriculation processing fee of 35 euros.

* First year students are only allowed to register as absent due to legal reasons.


Student Union membership fee

All students in Finland regardless of nationality are obliged to pay an annual student union membership fee.

More info on the student union fee is available on the Hanken Student Union's home page.


Immigration requirements concerning funding

Applicants must ensure that they have adequate funds to support themselves financially through their entire period of study in Finland. In order to be granted a residence permit, non-EU/EEA citizens are required to show that they have at least 6720 EUR/year or 560 EUR/month at their disposal.

See further information on the Finnish Immigration Service page. International students who cannot show proof of sufficient funds for living expenses during their studies in Finland will not obtain a residence permit.