The Academic Council
The Rector heads the Council; its members represent the various departments and the language centre as well as the School's personnel groups and the students. The University Council appoints the Academic Council.
Members of the Academic Council 1.1.2016 - 31.12.2018.
Rector Karen Spens
Dean Sören Kock
Finance and Statistics:
Anders Löflund (Jan Antell)
Management and Organisation:
Virpi Sorsa (Denise Salin)
Accounting & Commercial Law:
Centre for Languages and
Nari Lee (Peter Björk)
Other teachers, etc:
Jannika Lassus (Marina Bergström)
Kenneth Nilsson (John Fast)
Duties of and information about the Academic Council
The University has an academic council with the task of
- develop and evaluate education and research at the University
- at the request of the board to give advice on issues concerning education and research
- approve curricula and establish hearing schedule
- appoint experts and draw up appointments at the Professor appointments
- appoint examiners for Master's and licentiate theses and pre-examiners, examiners and opponents of doctoral theses
- evaluate and approve the master's, licentiate and doctoral theses.
To the Academic Council are
- Rector as Chairman and Vice Rector as Vice Chairman
- one representative from each institution
- one representative of Hanken's Center for Languages and Business Communication
- two representatives of the professors
- two representatives of other teachers and researchers and other staff.
- two students.
The Academic Council members are appointed by the university college, those referred to in paragraph 2 on a proposal by the respective department council, the person referred to in paragraph 3 on the proposal of the Executive Board of the language center, those referred to in paragraph 4 and 5 on a proposal by the President after consulting the higher education community and those referred to in paragraph 6 on the proposal of the Student Union. Council's term of office is three years. The representative of an institution must have a doctoral examination. Each member has a personal deputy.