HNPW Event: Logistics Cluster Partner Forum: What's Up at HUMLOG
The HNPW, organized by OCHA, is the largest events of its kind, providing a collaborative space for practitioners and experts from a large variety of humanitarian stakeholders including UN agencies, Member States, NGOs, the Red Cross and Red Crescent movement, academia, the military & private sector initiatives, to collaborate in identifying solutions to common challenges in crisis preparedness and response.
¨Logistics Cluster Partner Forum: What's Up at HUMLOG¨
by Director of the HUMLOG Institute Dr Wojciech Piotrowicz, Hanken School of Economics
The Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Research Institute (HUMLOG Institute) was founded in 2008 jointly between Hanken School of Economics (Hanken) and the Finnish National Defence University (NDU) in Helsinki, Finland. The aim of the HUMLOG Institute is to conduct research in areas of humanitarian logistics including disaster preparedness, response and recovery with the intention of influencing activities that will provide measurable benefits to persons requiring assistance. The HUMLOG Institute was set up to serve as a platform and a physical space for researchers to share ideas and disseminate knowledge in this field. The Institute has grown into a large international network of researchers. The HUMLOG team at Hanken comprises 30 researchers from 17 nationalities, plus an international network of associates from around the world.
Our activities are organised around four main pillars:
1. Research, ranging from individual research projects to consortium projects with partners;
2. Education, through Master’s and PhD program;
3. Customised trainings, in partnership with practitioners;
4. Publication, communication, dissemination and exchange of knowledge, via events and seminars, our Blog and academic publications. Our team is also specially involved in publishing the Journal of Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
Ongoing projects include a.o.
- Cash and/or carry: The challenges and modalities of delivering aid in conflict zones
- HERoS - Health Emergency Response inInter connected Systems.
- Online MOOC Course: Introduction to Humanitarian Logistics
The Logistics Cluster Global Meetings bring together senior and operational logisticians from humanitarian organisations.The Logistics Cluster facilitates exchange on topics, initiatives and projects of humanitarian logistics actors or topics at the benefit of the humanitarian logistics community. The sessions are provided by humanitarian stakeholders and allow project owners to seek feedback,views or endorsement from the Logistics Cluster community of partners. Where the Logistics Cluster provides access and exchange on the topics, the Logistics Cluster is not in a position to endorse the projects proposed.