Our research - One step ahead
The research tradition at CERS encourages and supports a questioning and problematizing approach, which is not limited to existing conceptualisations and norms.
The goal is to publish research that is not simply new but also provides alternative perspectives and alters researchers' thinking and doing.
Our research is focused on service business and philosophy within it the four focus areas, also shown in the figure below:
1. customers and relations
- (e.g., customer experience and value formation)
2. marketing logics and strategizing
3. business, markets and societal dynamics
4. marketing effectiveness and profitability
Our roots and our theoretical lens is in service, which is in the centre of our focus.
Below you can familiarize yourself with some of our research projects, and short video presentations.
Feel free to contact us at cers[at]hanken.fi, in case you are interested in any of our publications. A complete list of CERS publications can be found in HARIS (Hanken Research Information System). Hanken's own publications can be downloaded from the Library or DHanken.
Doctoral dissertations from the Department of Marketing
- Penttinen, Valeria (2022). Marketing in the Rise of Online Data: Dealing with the Shifts in Firm-Consumer Information Asymmetry
- Tikkanen, Hannu (2022). I Would Walk 10 000 Steps: The Role of Smart Technology Services in Responsibilisation of Consumer Well-Being.
- Schauman, Sebastian (2022): Meaningfulness and the Significance of Things: An Exploration of Meaningful Consumer-Object Relations
- Sonja, Sarasvuo (2022): Coherence or diversity in corporate identity?: Varying perceptions of the company as sources for corporate branding
- Maria, Sandberg (2022):Sufficiency Transitions : Realizing Consumption Changes for Environmental Sustainability
- Arafat, Rahman (2021): Whence the well-being of individuals?: Organizational roles of a transformative service provider in a healthcare setting
- Meri-Maaria, Frig (2021): Mediated business sustainability communication for a better world
- Michaela Lipkin (2020): Exploring Customer Experiences with Smart Self-service: A Customer Ecosystem Approach
- Marja-Leena Sarvikivi (2020): Reklam och marknadsföringstänkande i Finland. Varuhuset Stockmanns annonsering under 100 år.
- Dube, Apramey (2020): Service Experience in Customers’ Everyday Contexts. An Investigation of Customers’ Experiences from Using Smartphone Apps
- Lindeman, Sara (2018): Early-phase market organizing in subsistence settings
- Vuoristo, Lotta (2017): Making Sense of Customer Relationships - a Consumer Perspective
- Solja, Eeva (2017): Let me tell you a story. Consumer responses to company-created brand stories
- Laamanen, Mikko (2017): The Politics of Value Creation
- Medberg, Gustav (2016): How Do Customers Perceive Value-In-Use? Empirical Insights from Bank Service Stories
- Virtanen, Henrik (2015): Integrated and Sequential Cooperation between Competitors: A Study of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises in an International Context
- Kedzior, Richard (2014): How Digital Worlds Become Material: An Ethnographic and Netnographic Investigation in Second Life
- Huotari, Kai (2014): Experientializing: how C2C communication becomes part of the service experience
- Liewendahl, Helena (2014): What Motivates Employees to Live up to Value Promises: An Employee Discourse
- Diaz Ruiz, Carlos A. (2014): Market Representations in Action: Foundations for the Performativity of Representations in Marketing
- Hellman, Pia (2014): The Effect of Communicating E-service Benefits on Consumer E-service Adoption
- Kiehelä, Hanna (2014): Dimensionality of the Consumer Perceived Value of Product Colour
- Mickelsson, Jacob (2014): Customer Activity: A Perspective on Service Use
2013 and earlier
- Nyman, Henrich (2013): Service Profitability: An Augmented Customer Lifetime Value Approach
- Holttinen, Heli (2013): Cultural Ideals, Practices and Value Propositions in Consumer Everyday Value Creation
- Arantola-Hattab, Johanna (2013): Family as a customer experiencing co-created service value
- Viio, Paul (2011): Strategic sales process adaptation : relationship orientation of the sales process in a business-to-business context
- Persson, Andreas (2011): Profitable Customer Management: A Study in Retail Banking
- Gummerus, Johanna (2011): Customer Value in E-Service: Conceptual Foundation and Empirical Evidence
- Hellén, Katarina (2010): A Continuation of the Happiness Success Story: Does Happiness Impact Service Quality?
- Helkkula, Anu (2010): Service Experience in an Innovation Context
- Holma, Anne (2009): Adaptation in Triadic Business Relationship Settings
- Steinby,Camilla (2009): Multidimensionality of Actors in Business Networks: The Influence of Social Action in Pharmacy Networks in Finland
- Nenonen, Suvi (2009): Customer Asset Management in Action: Using Customer Portfolios for Allocating Resources Across Business-To-Business Relationships For Improved Shareholder Value
- von Koskull, Katharina (2009): Use of Customer Information: An Ethnography in Service Developent
- Höykinpuro Ritva (2009): Service Firms' Action Upon Negative Incidents in High Touch Services: A Narrative Study
- Holmqvist, Jonas (2009): Language Influence in Services
- Ravald, Annika (2009): Hur Uppkommer Värde för kunden?
- Golik Klanac, Natasa (2008): Customer Value of Website Communication in Business-to-business Relationships
- Pihlström, Minna (2008): Perceived value of mobile service use and its consequences
- Rindell, Anne (2008): Image heritage - The temporal dimension in consumers' corporate image constructions
- Wägar, Karolina (2007): The nature of learning about customers in a customer service setting - a study of frontline contact persons
- Berndtson, Mikael (2007): Informell marknadskommunikation - Teoretisk analys jämte en studie av användningsmöjligheter inom banksektorn
- Rytting, Leif (2006): Visst gör kunden en stor del av jobbet - Referensramar för kunders medverkan vid tillkomsten av konsumenttjänster
- Korkman, Oskar (2006): Customer value formation in practice - A practice-theoretical approach
- Kauppinen, Hannele (2005): Colours as Non-Verbal Signs on Packages.
- Kokko,Teemu (2005): Offering Development in the Restaurant Sector - A Comparison between Customer Perceptions and Management Beliefs
- Finne, Åke (2004): Hur den aktiva kunden konstruerar budskap. Ett synsätt inom relationskommunikation.
- Wendelin, Robert (2004): The nature and change of bonds in industrial business relationships
- Åkerlund, Helena (2004): Fading customer relationships
- Leino, Mirel (2004): Value creation in professional services - propositions for understanding financial value from the customer perspective
- Heinonen, Kristina (2004): Time and location as customer perceived value drivers
- Nordman, Christina (2004): Understanding customer loyalty and disloyalty - The effect of loyalty-supporting and -repressing factors
- Ballantyne, David (2004): A relationship mediated theory of internal marketing
- Sääksjärvi, Maria (2004): Consumer Evaluation of Hybrid Innovations
- Owusu, Richard A. (2003): Collective Network Capability in International Project Business Networks - A Case Study of the Business Network for the Ashanti Electrification Project in Ghana
- Arantola, Heli (2002): Relationship Drivers in Provider - Consumer Relationships, Empirical Studies of Customer Loyalty Programs
- Polsa, Pia (2002): Power and Distribution Network Structure in the People's Republic of China - The Case of an Inland City in Transition
- Lindberg-Repo, Kirsti (2001): Customer Relationship Communication - Analysing Communication from a Value Generating Perspective
- Voima, Päivi (2001): Negative Internal Critical-Incident Processes - Windows on Relationship Change
- Kinnunen, Ritva (2001): Creating and testing of service ideas and service production concepts
- Roos, Inger (1999): Switching Paths in Customer Relationships
- Leminen, Seppo (1999): Gaps in Buyer-Seller Relationships. Case Studies in the Telecommunication Industry.
- Ojasalo, Jukka (1999): Quality Dynamics in Professional Services
- Ojasalo, Katri (1999): Conceptualizing Productivity in Services
- Stenbacka, Caroline (1998): Brand Visibility - en referensram för marknadskommunikation med ett relationsmarknadsföringsperspek-tiv. Brand Visibility - A Frame of Reference for Marketing Communications with a Relationship Marketing Perspective. English Summary.
- Rosenbröijer, Carl-Johan (1998): Capability Development in Business Networks. A Study of Distribution
in the Fine Paper Sector in the United Kingdom.
- Holmlund, Maria (1997): Perceived Quality in Business Relationships.
- Liljander, Veronica(1995): Comparison Standards in Perceived Service Quality.
- Strandvik, Tore (1994): Tolerance Zones in Perceived Service Quality
- Storbacka, Kaj (1994): The Nature of Customer Relationship Profitability - Analysis of Relationships and Customer Bases in Retail Banking.
Our latest journal articles
2023, 'Actor experience: Bridging individual and collective-level theorizing', Journal of Business Research, vol. 158, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2023.113658
2023, 'Putting the “service” into B2B marketing', Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 272-289. https://doi.org/10.1108/JBIM-02-2022-0085
2022, 'Affordances Advancing User-Created Communication (UCC) in Service', Journal of Service Management, vol. 33, no. 4-5, pp. 688-704. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOSM-10-2021-0407
2022, 'Autonomous vehicle solutions and their digital servitization business models', Technological Forecasting and Social Change, vol. 185, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2022.122070
2022, 'Customer ecosystems', Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSM-03-2021-0080
2022, 'Digitalization-enabled evolution of customer value creation', Journal of Business Research, vol. 146, pp. 504-517. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2022.04.002
2022, 'Family business, servitization, and performance', Technological Forecasting and Social Change, vol. 185, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2022.122053
2022, 'Glocalization in Service Cultures: Tensions in Customers’ Service Expectations and Experiences', Journal of Service Research, https://doi.org/10.1177/10946705221094638 ,
2022, 'It is Really Not a Game', Journal of Service Research, https://doi.org/10.1177/10946705221076272
2022, 'Smart wearable technologies as resources for consumer agency in well-being', Journal of Interactive Marketing, https://doi.org/10.1177/10949968221143351
2022, 'User-defined ecosystems in health and social care', Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 41-56. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSM-03-2021-0090
2022, 'Using neo-animism to revisit actors for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in S-D logic', Journal of Business Research, vol. 149, pp. 860-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2022.05.031
2022, 'Viewpoint: applying pragmatism to stimulate service research and practice – a European perspective', Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 467-475. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSM-06-2021-0211
2022, 'Viewpoint: plotting a way forward for service research in and out of Africa', Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 450-460. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSM-07-2021-0258