Document requirements for admitted students
Is your admission offer final or conditional?
- Check your personal admission package whether or not your admission offer is FINAL or CONDITIONAL.
- If the admission offer is conditional, you need to fulfill the conditions by the set deadlines in order for your admission offer not to expire.
- MSc students: If your admission offer is only conditional because you are required to pay tuition fees, please follow the instructions sent to your e-mail since the info on this page does not apply to you.
If your admission offer is FINAL
Admitted student must
- submit officially certified (attested) hard copies or digital official copies* of all educational documents submitted with the application to the Admission Services as soon as possible but no later than 5 weeks after the admission results have been published. Regular copies will not be accepted.
- If you had not graduated at the moment of applying, the last date to deliver officially certified copies is the last workday (Monday-Friday) before or on 31 July that same year at 15:00 (GMT +2).
- The exact deadline will be notified to admitted students.
Check if country-specific document requirements concering how to deliver the documents applies to you. There is a country-specific document requirement also for studies completed in Finland.
*More info under the section Electronic Transcript Verifcation Services.
If you are admitted, you need to deliver the following documents as officially certified (definition below) copies:
- Officially certified copy of degree certificate for the degee based on which you applied + possible official translations (if you have graduated)
- Official transcript of records for the degree based on which you applied + possible official translations
- Diploma Supplement (if available) + possible official translations
- Officially certified certificate of GPA: if GPA is not stated on the transcript and if accessable
- MAIN ADMISSION & PHD ADMISSION: Only applicants applying based on a degree obtained in an EU/EEA country, Switzerland or at a Hanken's partner University for Exchange who are exempted from taking the GMAT/GRE test in case the GPA is not clearly stated on the transcript of records.
- ROLLING ADMISSION: Only applicants who applied based on a degree from a Hanken's partner University for Exchange who are exempted from taking the GMAT/GRE test in case the GPA is not clearly stated on the transcript of records.
- If the degree that you use to prove your language skills is a different degree than the degree that you used to prove your eligibility or you applied based on a double/triple degree where more than one degree certificate was issued, you have to send officially certified copies of your educational documents for both/all degrees if you are offered admission (according to the country-specific requirements).
- Applicants who had not graduated at the time of applying: All the admissions requirements must be fulfilled. If you were exempted from taking the GMAT/GRE admission test based on your GPA, your final GPA in your degree must be sufficient. If the GPA is not clearly stated on your final educational documents, Hanken will verify that the GPA is sufficient.
You can provide officially certified copies of your educational documents either via
- An Electronic Transcript Verification Service accepted by Hanken (recommended if available, see more info below) OR
- Postal Service/Drop-off at Hanken (see addresses below
If you deliver your documents via Postal Service/Drop-off at Hanken, the section "What does officially certified documents mean?" and "Country-specific Document Requirements" apply to you.
We will not send you a notification message about the arrival your educational documents. You will receive a message after we have processed your documents. All documents are processed on in order of arrival.
Courier Services are often the fastest and safest way of sending your educational attachments.
- If you are delivering your documents from outside EU/EEA or Switzerland, you need to declear the shipment with the Finnish Customs by filling in this Custom Declaration Form and deliver it via secure e-mail as described at the bottom om the form.
- if you fail to declare your shipment as described, it can be stuck in Finnish customs for a extensive time and you might miss the deadline for delivering your documents to Hanken.
Delivery Address for Courier Services
Hanken School of Economics
Phone number: +358 (0)29 431 331 (no customer service, only for courier services)
Delivery Address for Regular Mail
Hanken School of Economics
P.O. Box 479
Drop-off attachments personally at Hanken in Helsinki
You can also bring the officially certified educational documents yourself to Hankens reception, Arkadiankatu 22, Helsinki as long as the documents fulfil the country-specific requirements (see below) and the envelope is marked with the address listed above.
If you deliver the officially certified documents via Postal Service/Drop-off at Hanken, the following applies:
- Documents can be officially certified either by an
- Official at the awarding institution OR
- Notary Public (in Finland: Digi- ja väestötietovirasto).
Please also check the Country-specific requirements
- if the country where you have conducted your degree is listed, you have to follow the country specific requirements for that country instead of the general instructions listed here.
- If your institution's country is not on the list you have to follow these general instructions. Note that there is also country-specific requirements for degrees obtained in Finland.
Officially certified documents means that:
- Copies are taken directly from your original educational documents
- Include every page of your educational documents
- Bear the original stamp of the awarding institution/notary public on each page of the document. The official stamps of educational institutions usually display the institution name and emblem. (e.g. a generic stamp stating only “Certified true copy” will not be accepted)
- Bear the original signature of the representative of the institution, their name in capital letters as well as their title.
Other copies will not be recognised as officially certified copies. For example, a regular photocopy or a copy certified by two persons are not sufficient to constitute certification. You should never send us your original educational documents since the documents will not be returned to you.
If your institution uses one of the Electronic Transcript Verification Services listed below, it is recommended that you share your electronically verified educational documents through that service instead of delivering them as officially certified copies via postal service as described above.
Please refer to your institution’s own instructions for more details on how to access the service that your institution uses.
Please note that if your educational documents are required in a sealed envelope according to a country-specific requirement, it is acceptable to submit the documents through an electronic transcript service instead.
- My eQuals
- Credential Solutions
- Parchment Exchange
- Finnish degrees: Oma Opintopolku/Koski (add the link on application form, or you will be requested to add upon admission)
If your institution uses a service that is not listed here, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, and we will investigate whether we can accept your documents through this service as well. Please note that Hanken School of Economics reserves the right to make the final decision on whether a service is accepted or not.
Verification service offered by the degree awarding institution
We accept electronic educational documents that can be verified using an electronic verification service offered by the degree awarding institution if:
- the service is located on the degree awarding institution's website OR, in case of third party services, the institution provides a link to the service on their website
- the entire document can be verified using the service, i.e. the verification service must show the exact same content as the document you submitted.
- If the service verifies only parts of the document, we do not accept the document as officially certified. Instead, submit an officially certified hard copy of the document.
Please note the following restrictions:
- The institution’s email address is not accepted as an electronic verification service.
- Regular PDF scans of educational documents are not accepted if the document cannot be verified using an electronic verification service on the institutions website.
- Institutional verification services that require Hanken School of Economics to download specific software, create a user account, or pay for the verification are not accepted.
Please also note that we cannot guarantee that we will accept verification services in languages other than English, Finnish or Swedish. If the electronic document verified by the service is not available in English, Finnish or Swedish, you must submit an official translation of the original document as well.
Hanken School of Economics reserves the right to evaluate each electronic document and verification service case by case. If we cannot verify the required information, you must submit the document as an officially certified paper copy following the general instructions.
If the country where you obtained your degree is listed below, you should follow the the country-specific document requirements instead of the general instructions concering delivering officially certified copies.
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States