Open access publishing opportunities at Hanken
Finnish national strategy for open access publication in the Declaration for Open Science and Research 2020-2025 states that all new research publications be immediately available via open access without any embargo period. According to the core funding model of the universities, open access scientific publications will be rewarded from 2021.
To promote open science and to improve the visibility and impact of your research, it is strongly recommended that you consider open access options right from the beginning of your research, and prioritize:
- a gold open access journal (see Gold OA)
- a hybrid open access journal with discounts on article processing charges APCs (see Discounts on APCs) or
- a journal that allows for non-embargoed self-archiving (see Green OA (self-archiving)).
Eligibility to discounted APCs
In the year of 2020, Hanken researchers are eligible to discounted APCs in journals by five major publishers: Sage (100% discount, no APCs, new!), Springer Nature (100% discount, no APCs), Emerald (no APC with a voucher), Wiley (53% discount on APCs, new!), and Elsevier (50% discount). The prerequisites to obtain a discount are that you are the corresponding author, and that you state Hanken as your affiliation officially in the publication.
Remember to clarify your Hanken affiliation in the forms sent to you by the publishers. Use your Hanken email address because the publishers can recognize your entitlement to the discounts from your email address.
The process of obtaining a discount on APC is different with each publisher. Note that Sage requires that you take the initiative to inform them that you are entitled to publishing open access without paying any APC. It is extremely important to fill in the form correctly, since Sage will not make any APC refunds retrospectively.
With Elsevier and Springer, once your article is accepted, you as the corresponding author will receive an email from them to ask you to go through the open access publication process with a discounted APC.
The agreement with Emerald is still based on a limited number of vouchers.
Discounts on APCs by Wiley is new for the year of 2020. Instructions will be published shortly.
Se detailed instructions for all the publishers in Discounts on APCs.
Hanken’s central fund for APCs
Hanken has set up a central fund for open access publication since 2020 with the aims of promoting open access and of establishing an open and transparent APC process at Hanken.
The criteria of APC fund allocation are:
- You act as the corresponding author and specify your Hanken affiliation in the publication.
- None of the Hanken-affiliated authors has external project funds where open access publishing costs can be included in the project budget.
- The publication type is peer-reviewed journal articles (A1 or A2). Peer-reviewed monographs (C1) can also get financial support for the book processing charge (BPC). Publication types are classified in the Publication data collection instructions for researchers 2019 (Julkaisutiedonkeruun ohjeistus tutkijoille 2019) by the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- The application for the publication expense is directed at an APC in a gold or hybrid open access publication, not at submission fees or production-related fees such as colour image or figure charges.
- The target journal is rated with a Jufo-level 1 or above, or SNIP 1.0 or above if the publication channel has not received a Jufo rating.
Also remember to notify the library if you or your co-author have paid an APC. Since 2020, APC information (APC amount, currency, and year of payment) is required in Haris registration for the Ministry’s annual publication data collection.
Send your application and possible questions concerning open access publishing to email@example.com.