38009 Voluntary Work , 5 sp
This is a self-study course that reports on the voluntary work you have completed. The aim is to acquire practical experience from voluntary work total of min 134 hours. Part time work is converted on the basis of total work hours to working weeks. All work to help people in the society can be considered. The work shall fulfill Hanken’s guidelines of ethics, responsibility and sustainability.
You have acquired experience from volunteering and you are aware how voluntary work can benefit societies and companies from both the practical and scientific viewpoints.
- apply the theoretical knowledge you have acquired during your studies to voluntary work
- conduct professional tasks in voluntary work that relate to your major / business studies
Check Moodle for frequently asked questions and contact the examiner via the course platform if in doubt whether your volunteering qualifies for obtaining credits.
Volunteering can be done in Finland or abroad.
Masters level degree students at Hanken School of Economics only.
Completed bachelor degree.
134 hours of independent work
134 hours divided into
scheduled work: 0 hours
non-scheduled work: 134 hours
Voluntary work can be done at any time but cannot be older than 24 months by the time the report is handed in. The report needs to be related to studies in the major, i.e. at least 16 ECTS of subject courses (i.e. courses in any of the majors at Hanken on the MSc level, but not methods courses nor non-subject-specific other courses) need to have been completed prior to writing the report.
Voluntary work requires work total of min 134 hours. Part-time work is converted on the basis of total work hours to working weeks. All work to help people in the society can be considered. The work shall fulfill Hanken’s guidelines of ethics, responsibility and sustainability. After the work you write a report that includes a detailed discussion of your tasks during your voluntary work, and how they are linked to your previous business studies. The report should not describe any voluntary work older than 24 months. It can be handed in any time, grading occurs after the last week of the period the report has been handed in. Specific deadlines can be found on Moodle.
In the report, you should
- describe your voluntary work in relation to your business studies - this will require that you have completed a minimum of 16 ECTS of courses on the MSc level that you can relate your report to
- write a well-structured description of how your voluntary work is related to your business studies and how you applied your theoretical insight to practical work
- use relevant references to literature
- analyse how you can use your voluntary work in your future studies and career
- attach a copy of the voluntary work certificate from the organisation you volunteered with (original to be shown upon request)
The course is graded pass or fail.