Incoming faculty and scholars
Welcome to Hanken and Finland!
Hanken School of Economics is an internationally focused research-based business school with strong ties to the international academic community. Hanken warmly welcomes faculty members and visiting scholars from abroad.
If you are planning to apply for a faculty position at Hanken or planning to conduct research at Hanken as a visiting scholar, please visit the webpages below for useful information about life in Finland in general, the Finnish research and educational system in particular, and practicalities when planning to move to Finland. For additional information see also the links under 'Incoming faculty and scholars' in the left-hand menu.
A checklist for those moving to Finland can also be found below.
EURAXESS Finland portal
provides information for researchers planning to move to Finland or planning to visit Finland as a visiting scholar. You can find information about Finnish research, job and funding opportunities as well as practical information of various kinds to consider before moving to Finland (the information is available under the heading "Incoming researchers").
contains key statistics and other data on Finnish science and technology. There are also links for more in-depth information on the research environment, statistical and other publications, documents and databases.
Expat Finland provides information aimed at making living in Finland, working in Finland, and moving to Finland easier. Content ranges from residence permits, social security and taxation, to housing, employment, banks, media, social groups and events, travel and more.
Hanken's campuses are located in Helsinki and Vaasa. The campuses in a nutshell and their hometowns are presented on this website. If you are planning to move to the Helsinki region, services provided by the local municipalities are presented on the Helsinki Region.fi portal (e.g. public transport, day care, schools, health and social services, culture). If you are planning to move to Vaasa, you find the municipal services on the portal of the City of Vaasa.
For more information about Finland, please visit Facts about Finland.
Please contact research(at)hanken.fi if you have additional questions about reserch at Hanken or in Finland in general.
If you have additional questions concerning Hanken or working in Finland, please contact your receiving unit or the HR-department.
- Documentation needed for applying for a residence permit or for registering the right to reside in Finland
- Personal documentation:
- Passport or a valid identity card (that includes a photograph of the holder)
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Passport or a valid identity card (that includes a photograph of the holder) and birth certificate for all family members moving to Finland. If the family is moving to Finland later on, copies of their document s can be brought instead.
- NB! You must obtain an authorized translation of all documents that are in a language other than Finnish, Swedish or English.
- Residence permit and registration certificates:
- The European Health Insurance Card
- Other important documentation: Drivers license, Medical prescriptions and medication descriptions, Child Health Card, etc.
- Personal documentation:
- Moving to Finland: Importing and customs duties