What health insurance do I need?

Read about the type of health insurance you need. The requirements may vary based on where you are from.


Health insurance

All students arriving in Finland must be fully insured during their entire stay here, as well as during their travel to and from Finland.If you are a national of an EU or EEA country, your national health care insurance is valid in Finland. To prove this, you must bring with you a European Health Insurance Card issued by your home country. If you are from a country where this card is not yet available, bring an E-128 (or E-111) form from your local health authority with you instead. You should also contact your local health authority and insurance agency in order to make sure that you are fully covered in case of illness or accident.In order to avoid medical costs, which in case of intensive care or difficult operations can be very high, students from outside the EU, EEA, or Nordic countries must have their own medical insurance. A valid insurance is also a pre-requisite for the residence permit.In addition to health insurance, we strongly advise students to insure their personal possessions against theft, loss, or breakage and acquire a travel insurance before arriving in Finland.

Health Insurance for the Recidence Permit application

If you are required to acquire a international health insurance for your recidence permit application, the Finnish Immigration Services recommends that you acquire a health insurance from a large international Insurance company since such insurances are processed without delay at the Finnish Immigration Services and are a safe option.The following insurance providers for example offer international health insurances for students:

Health care

All exchange students and Master's students are required to become members of the student union. Membership is optional for doctoral students.A health care fee is included in the student union's membership fee, which means that members are entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS). This service covers regular medical consultations, appointments with specialists, physiotherapy, psychotherapy, x-rays, laboratory testing, and to some extent, dental care. The FSHS does not provide emergency or hospital services.In case of illness during the weekend, you can turn to the municipal health care centres. To be able to get service, students from EU countries need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card from a health insurance service in their home country. Students from non-EU/EEA countries must arrange for a health insurance before departure.