Master's studies in Financial Analysis and Business Development
Why Financial Analysis and Business Development?
Financial markets have become turbulent and face increasing regulatory pressures today. The diversity and complexity of financial contracts and financial reporting – be it for corporate world or investment management applications – require specialised in-depth knowledge of financial theory, coupled with sound accounting principles.
Our specialisation in Financial Analysis and Business Development develops the necessary skills for you to pursue a successful career in investment management or corporate financial management. The combination of accounting, finance, and corporate governance and commercial law, offers you a comprehensive view of how to ensure financing and manage assets in global financial markets. It also teaches you how international accounting practices and regulations help secure sustainable business practices and continued trust from stakeholders.
The combination of accounting and finance together with governance and commercial law will give you a comprehensive view of:
- managing assets in global financial markets with multiple sources of risk
- measuring, creating, and managing corporate value
- analyzing profitability and value creation of businesses
- international accounting practices and regulations
- securing sustainable business practices and continued trust from all stakeholders
Facts about the specialisation
- 120 credits, 2 years of full-time study
- Language: English
- Degree: MSc in Economics and Business Administration
- Location: Helsinki
You have the opportunity to choose from three tracks, including several electives that offer flexibility within the studies:
- Finance - Investment management and corporate finance
- Accounting - International accounting and business sustainability
- Governance and Commercial Law - Supporting business development
Within the Finance track of the specialisation you will focus on the aforementioned core areas and developing key competencies such as:
- a solid understanding of fundamental theories in financial economics
- learning how financial markets function and how they influence the allocation of resources in a global economy
- knowledge and skills in asset valuation, pricing and management of risk, wealth management, derivative pricing, and corporate finance
- the strong analytical and communicative skills necessary for business, as well as academic careers. You will also develop research skills essential for students pursuing doctoral level studies.
- an understanding of sustainability and ethical behaviour
Within the Accounting track of the specialisation you will focus on the following core areas:
- how sustainable business is formed and maintained
- how accounting regulation can support sustainability
- how accounting regulation and practices support profitability and growth structures of businesses
Within the Governance and Commercial Law track of the specialisation you will focus on:
- how legal restrictions and regulations shape existing business
- how taxation impacts different types of businesses
- hard and soft principles by which corporations are governed
- international differences in legal systems
As a student of the Accounting or Finance track of this specialisation you also have the opportunity to top up your degree with the QTEM certificate (Quantitative Techniques for Economics and Management). This is your opportunity to earn a degree within a network of leading business schools and corporate partners. All partners are committed to developing global talent with strong quantitative competencies, analytical skills, international and intercultural experience, and management potential.
Upon graduation you will:
- - have the skills to measure and manage business risk
- - know how to secure sustainable financing
- - be able to apply asset valuation and investment management principles
- - analyse profitability and value creation of businesses
- - understand international accounting practices and regulations
- - understand the importance of credible financial reporting
Up to 98% of the 2018 & 2017 graduates had found employment within 6 months of completing their degree and to get an overview of how the careers of Hanken's Alumni look like, visit our Career Services' Explore Careers pages!
Our alumni from the three subjects Finance, Accounting and Commercial Law have job titles such as:
- Chief Executive Officer, Business Analyst, Equity Analyst, Business Controller, Business Development Manager, Tax Consultant - and many more!
We are also proud of our Hanken International Talent initiative, where newly-admitted international MSc students are matched with Finnish companies for mentoring!
We encourage are students to gain international experience! We definitely recommend students to complete an internship and support students in finding a placement. A QTEM internship or a semester abroad through the QTEM cooperation, or at one of Hanken’s partner universities, can be incorporated into the programme as an optional component if the planning for it already starts during the fall of the first academic year.