Changing Master's Degree Programme Specialisation/Specialisation track to another

Information about how master's degree students can change programme specialisation or specialisation track.

It is possible to apply for changing master's degree specialisation or to change from one specialisation track to another, within the same study location. If you want to switch specialisation or specialisation track, you should do the following:

  1. Before you can apply for change of specialisation or track, you have to have completed studies at Hanken with good results.
  2. Contact the Admissions Office providing the information to which Master's Degree Specialisation/Specialisation track you wish to change and a motivation letter expressing your reasons for wanting to change from one specialisation to another. The motivation letter should be directed to the Rector. Please also enclose a study plan where you describe how and when you aim to graduate from the new specialisation/track. Please, e-mail the motivation letter and study plan to
  3. The Admissions Office will inform the Specialisation manager for the Master's Degree Specialisation in question about your wish to change specialisation and send your motivation letter, your original application and enclosures as well as a transcript of your studies at Hanken for evaluation to the Specialisation manager.
  4. The Specialisation manager will determine whether you fulfill the academic requirements for the specialisation/specialisation track. For a change between specialisations, the Specialisation manager will also determine if there is space available on the specialisation in question. If the Specialisation manager wishes to, he or she can invite the applicant for a discussion about the possible switch.
  5. The Specialisation manager informs the Admissions Office via e-mail whether or not the switch has been approved. If the switch was approved, the Specialisation manager writes a signed approval confirming the switch which is e-mailed to the Admissions Office. 
  6. For change between specialisation tracks:
    The Specialisation managers approval is the final decision regarding the application. The change of track will be registered in the study register Oodi by Studies and Admissions.

    For changes between specialisations: 
    If the application was approved by the Specialisation manager, the Rector of Hanken School of Economics will thereafter make the final decision concering the application and Studies and Admissions will notify you of the outcome of your application. If the application was approved the change of specialisation will be registred in the study register Oodi by Studies and Admissions.

If you want to change specialisation between study locations you need to apply to the prefered specialisation at the prefered study location through or and follow the requirements listed there.