9997-V Voluntary Work and Societal Engagement, 5 sp
This is a self-study course that reports on the voluntary work and/or societal engagement you have participated in. The aim is to acquire practical experience from voluntary work total of min 134 hours. Part time work is converted on the basis of total work hours to working weeks. All work to help people in the society can be considered. The work shall fulfil Hanken’s guidelines of ethics, responsibility and sustainability.
The course can be taken once, and can only be included in your bachelor degree at Hanken.
Volunteering can be done in Finland or abroad, in any language and can include interaction with people trough international and/or domestic organisations.
This is an elective course on BSc level. Contact the examiner in advance if in doubt whether your volunteering qualifies for obtaining credits.
You have acquired experience from volunteering and you are aware how voluntary work can benefit the society, as well as your personal learning.
- your are aware of how your input can be beneficial to the society or people in need
- apply the insights you have acquired during voluntary work to your future studies and career
Volunteering can be done in any language, can include interaction with people trough international organisations and can be done abroad.
Only Hanken bachelor level degree students. The course can only be included in a bachelor degree at Hanken.
134 hours divided into
scheduled work: 0 hours
non-scheduled work: 134 hours
134 hours of independent work
Voluntary work requires work total of minimum 134 hours. Part-time work is converted on the basis of total work hours to working weeks. All work to help people in the society can be considered. The work shall fulfill Hanken’s guidelines of ethics, responsibility and sustainability. After finishing, you write a report in English. The report should not describe any voluntary work older than 24 months.
In the report (2-4 pages), you should in writing discuss
- your tasks in detail during your voluntary work
- how your input was beneficial to the society or the people in need
- the insights and personal learning experience that you gained from your voluntary work
- the impact of your voluntary work-experience on your future business studies and career and how you can use the experience to enhance them.
- attach a copy of the voluntary work certificate from the organisation you volunteered with (original to be shown upon request)
The deadline for handling in the report is four times per year; by 16.00 at Friday of each official Exam Week of Hanken. The rapport should be sent to studievagledare-Hfors@hanken.fi. Please, write “9997 or 9997-V, Voluntary Work and Societal Engagement/[your name]” in the subject field.
The course is graded pass or fail.
Voluntary work can be done at any time after the first-year of studies, but cannot be older than 24 months by the time the report is handed in.
Contact the examiner in advance if in doubt whether your volunteering qualifies for obtaining credits.