JOO and contract studies
All Finnish universities are signatories to an agreement whereby both undergraduate and postgraduate students are permitted to apply to take courses at other Finnish universities, provided that those courses are
- approved options within the student's degree programme,
- not offered at the student's own home university.
- you must check that you fulfill possible pre-requisites for the course(s) you apply for study right for at the other university
This agreement is known as the JOO Agreement (a Finnish acronym for 'Flexible Study Rights' agreement). The deadline for Hanken's students to apply for JOO-studies at most other universities (for courses in autumn term 2019) is 14 April 2019.
You will find the courses that Hanken offers for JOO students from other universities in Hanken's own WebOodi. Courses for the next academic year are published in April- May. Please read carefully the separate instructions on www.joopas.fi.
If you are a student at Hanken, and wish to apply for the right to complete a course at another university, please visit one of Hanken's study counsellors before submitting your application. The application is done at www.joopas.fi and you will be notified via the portal when the status of your application changes.
- You will have to submit a personal study plan (as a pdf) together with your JOO application. It has to include all your compulsory courses and the JOO courses that you wish to complete at the other university. Please note that if you wish to include JOO studies in your degree, the study plan should not exceed 120 credits (M.Sc) / 180 credits (B.Sc)
- You also need to attach course descriptions for the course or courses you want to take
- Doctoral students need to get the course approved by their supervisor. Information about the courses offered by other universities is found on joopas.fi or on the web pages of the other university. If the course you are interested in
Please note that there is a specific application period for every participating university. Hanken's Office of Study Affairs usually wants its students' applications to other universities submitted to Joopas by the beginning of April (for courses given at a another university during the following autumn term) and the beginning of October (for courses given during the following spring term). Some JOO applications have to be submitted earlier, or in some cases later, than April or October, depending on the university that you are applying to.