Get a Phd in Business and Economics
Salaried PhD student positions in Business&Economics for Masters with various backgrounds - Now taking applications!
Hanken School of Economics is a leading, top-5 university business school in the Nordic countries – featuring the “triple-crown” accreditation (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA). Our research ranks in top 5 among Scandinavian/Nordic business schools in terms of research published in top journals of business and economics, and in top 10 of all universities in the world in terms of research citation rate (www.umultirank.org ). We are located both in the downtown of Finland’s capital, Helsinki, and in the energy capital of the North, Vaasa.
Our PhD programme now offers 2-year salaried positions to study a PhD degree in all business majors as well as economics. We welcome applications from research-oriented students holding a Master’s degree; Masters with other than business study background are also warmly welcomed to apply (e.g., masters in statistics, psychology, systems analysis, industrial engineering). The PhD studies are in English (Finnish or Swedish language are not needed in studies).
We offer you a salaried position for the first 2 years in the programme. For years 3-4 in the programme, we will support you in finding funding from externally funded research projects or scholarships from external foundations. We do not charge any tuition fees for the studies in the 4-year programme.
Specifically, you can study the PhD degree in one of the following majors:
- Commercial Law
- Entrepreneurship and Management
- Management and Organisation
- Supply Chain Management and Social Responsibility
Please notice that many of the majors welcome you to apply to their programme even if you had a Master’s degree from a whole different discipline. For, instance, you may apply to:
- the Marketing major with a Master’s degree in psychology, sociology, social anthropology, management, economics, information/computer science, statistics, systems analysis, or industrial engineering (besides a MSc in marketing)
- the Supply Chain Management & Social Responsibility major with industrial engineering, systems analysis, transport economics, transport geography, disaster management, development studies, humanitarian studies, corporate social responsibility, environmental management, or technology management (besides a MSc in SCM)
- the Commercial Law major with a Master’s degree in law, sociology, political science, philosophy, literature, language, medicine, biology, physics, engineering, or technology management (besides a MSc in Law)
- the Accounting major with a Master’s degree in finance (besides a MSc in accounting)
- the Finance major with a Master’s degree in econometrics, statistics, mathematics, or physics (besides a MSc in finance)
- the Economics major with a Master’s degree in finance, (quantitative) marketing, operations research, system analysis, statistics, mathematics, or production engineering (besides a MSc in economics)
- the Management and Organisation major with a Master’s degree with any relevant discipline (besides a MSc in management/organisations)
Notice that although the majors welcome applications from Masters of a variety of disciplines, all majors require the applicant to have background studies/courses done within the major (or related to the major), as well as an undertaken GMAT test with an indicative score of 600 or more.
In general, Hanken’s PhD programme offers you:
- an international, world-class research environment
- PhD supervisors/instructors who are experienced, internationally active scholars at the cutting edge of their research fields
- opportunity to take world-class courses taught by international top scholars, organized by national doctoral schools (KATAJA, Graduate School of Finance, Helsinki Graduate School of Economics GSE)
- individually tailored guidance and studies
- flexible and supportive service
- access to prominent international networks
The programme entails 4 years of full-time studies, with a flexible structure: 60 ECTS credits of coursework and a doctoral thesis.
For more information:
- if you want to contact a professor of one of the majors, in order to preliminary discuss (a) whether the discipline/background of your Master’s degree qualifies you to apply to that major, or (b) whether your research topic would be suitable for the major, please contact firstly the PhD programme coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- if you want to know more about the salary of the first two years of studies, please see: https://www.hanken.fi/en/studies/apply/phd-programme/funding-and-social-...
- if you want to know more about the PhD programme in general, please visit: https://www.hanken.fi/en/studies/apply/phd-programme
The deadline for applications is 28 September 2018 at 4 p.m. Please see the admission requirements for more information on how to apply and what to include in the application: https://www.hanken.fi/en/studies/apply/phd-programme/how-apply/admission-requirements
PhD Application Newsletter
Keep yourself up to date with our admissions by subscribing to our Application Newsletter! Fill in the form below to receive useful information, reminders and invitations to webinars.