Immigration regulations for students of other nationalities

Immigration regulations for non-EU/Nordic nationals are listed here.

Students from countries that are not part of the EU/EEA, or any of the aforementioned, who wish to stay in Finland for more than 3 months, must be in possession of a residence permit when entering the country.

How do I apply for Residence Permit?

  1. Submit your application for a residence permit online through the EnterFinland E-Services for the Finnish Immigration Services system as soon as you received your admission offer. 
  2. Make sure to enclose all of the required documents at once to the application. If your application is incomplete, the process will take a lot longer and you might not obtain your residence permit before the start of term at Hanken.
  3. Book an appointment to the Finnish Embassy in your home country (or country of residence) to verify your identity and to present the original copies of any supplements needed for the your home country (or country of residence) to verify their identity and to present the original copies of any enclosures needed for the application. It is crucial that you visit the embassy as soon as possible since the processing of your application will only start after the visit has taken place.

If you are not a citizen of the country where you submit your application, you must prove that your residence is legal under the legislation of the country in question. A residence permit or a visa is usually presented as proof of legal residence.

You may find the application process described on the Finnish Immigration Services's website.


Finnish Personal Identity Code

Note! All students at Hanken are required to have a Finnish personal identity code which will be registered in Hanken’s study register Oodi. By submitting an residence permit application, you will automatically also be granted a Finnish personal identity code which will be stated on your residence permit card.

Please note that you must inform the Office of Study Affairs when you obtain a Finnish personal identity code/social security number.


Applicants already residing in Finland

You may apply for an extension of your residence permit online through the EnterFinland E-Services for the Finnish Immigration Services. This should be done well before the residence permit expires.

The following documents will be required for your application:

  • The acceptance letter issued by Hanken
  • A copy of a valid passport
  • Evidence that the applicant’s finances will cover all expenses in Finland or a statement of financial support (grant, loan, family support)
  • A certificate of health insurance
  • A passport photo
  • Documentation of the paid tuition fee or scholarship or exemption from paying the fee