Advice and Information for Doctoral Students

#Emailing list for doctoral students
#General study advice
#Information about funding and studies abroad
#Study Practicalities
#Student Psychologist
#Software and other equipment
#Information for international students

Emailing list for doctoral students

As a doctoral student at Hanken you are, via your Hanken email address, a member of the email list for doctoral students. Through the list doctoral students at Hanken will receive information about for example doctoral courses, seminars, tutorials and grants. It should be noted that information on doctoral courses organised by the graduate schools and EIASM is not provided, as all information on these courses is available at the web sites of those organisations. Bodies such as KATAJA , KAVA and EIASM have their own mailing lists that students are welcome to join.

Any student not wishing to be on the doctoral students email list should send a message to doctoral.studies(at) stating this fact.


Degree Supervision

Within each subject there are Degree Supervisors for doctoral studies who will inform students how the studies are set up and organised. Students can contact a Degree Supervisor in the major of their choice and discuss their plans prior to application.

The Degree Supervisor will help students to find the courses that should be included in their degree. The Degree Supervisor will also update students' study plans annually, and he/she will propose a Thesis Supervisor once the thesis theme has been established. Students who are going to take a course at another university or within a graduate school should consult their Degree Supervisor in order to make sure that the course can be included in the degree. He/she has to approve of the course before it is registered. When the time comes, the Degree Supervisor will administer the student's public dissertation defence and will act as the Custos (chairman) of the defence.

Thesis Supervision

Every doctoral student should have a Thesis Supervisor or a so-called Supervisor Committee once the theme of the thesis has been established. The Boards of the departments will appoint the Thesis Supervisor based on the proposal of the Degree Supervisor. A Thesis Supervisor need not be employed at Hanken. The main thing is that he or she is an expert on the thesis subject and has an interest in the academic outcome. The Thesis Supervisor will help students in their thesis process and may also be able to provide ideas about courses and other subject-related material. The Thesis Supervisor (or if external, the Degree supervisor) is responsible for the arrangement of licentiate seminars.

Contacts for more information

General study advice

Hanken's Doctoral Studies Coordinator will provide general study advice. Students should turn to her for responses to general questions regarding the organisation of studies, the right to study, and admission. The Coordinator's telephone number is + 358 (0)40 3521 282 and fax number is + 358 (0)9 431 33409. Email can be sent to doctoral.studies(at) .

Information about funding and studies abroad

The Staff at the Centre for Research and International Affairs gives advice to Hanken's doctoral students on funding doctoral studies and other grants, as well as possibilities to fund studies abroad.

Study Practicalities

Practical information about enrolment, registration in courses, transcripts and certificates, turn to the Office of Study Affairs and their Web pages.

Student Psychologist

Office of Study Affairs, 2nd floor.
Student psychologist Annika Hafrén Thursdays och Fridays by appointment in advance.
Telephone: 050 3185 242 (most likely to be reached on Thursdays and Fridays)
Email: studentpsychologist(at)

Harriet Huhtamäki, by appointment at Hanken approx. once a month.
Email: harriet.huhtamaki(at)

Software and other equipment

Students might need specialist software at some point of their studies (for example, in order to carry out data analysis). Hanken has purchased licenses for some applications, and access can be obtained by contacting the IT-services. In addition, departments might have licences for applications that may be of assistance, please turn to the secretary at your department. The library also has valuable information on databases and equipment available to doctoral students.

For other equipment, such as dictating machines and presentation equipment, students can contact their department or IT-Services.


Information for international students

Please note the webpages for international applicants and students here. These pages contain practical advice on living in Finland, social security and health care as well as accommodation matters. The links provided will give you  essential information also on immigration-issues.


When travelling the SIP, Student Insurance Program, is recommended for doctoral students. This is an insurance you take at your own expense. Further information on