Transfer of Credits from Studies Abroad

On this page you will find information about transferring credits that are completed abroad.

A) Exchange studies within the Hanken exchange programme

When the documents needed for reporting have been handed in, the credits gained during your exchange will be transferred as follows:

1. Your host university sends a certificate of completed courses to you or to Hanken.
- If your host university sends the certificate directly to you, you should a.s.a.p. visit the international co-ordinator in Helsinki or Kristina Wallin in Vaasa to show the original certificate.
- If the certificate is sent directly to the Centre for Research and International Affairs, we will notify you as soon as your certificate has arrived and you can pick it up at the Centre. If you study in Vaasa we will send the certificate to you by mail.

2. The Centre for Research and International Affairs checks that you have completed a full workload according to the terms and conditions of the grant and that you have handed in your exchange report.

3. The Office of Study Affairs transfers your exchange studies to Hanken. Since Hanken recommends that the exchange studies are transferred towards the study module "Studies Abroad" (consisting of min. 25 ECTS of which 15 ECTS must be in economic sciences and max. 8 ECTS in your major subject) the credits gained during the exchange will be automatically registered as the module "Studies Abroad" for bachelor students if you meet the requirements. However, if you wish to transfer the credits in another way, please inform us about this in Mobility Online as you are handing in the documents required.

Please, note that the credit transfer cannot be done before you have handed in the exchange report and course descriptions. It is important that you hand in all required documents in time so that the credit transfer can be done and to avoid that the Financial Aid Committee has to report neglected studies to KELA (FPA). In other words, don't "save" your credits for a later date. Please, also note that it may take a few weeks before your credits are registered in the student register Oodi. Therefore, it is important to hand in all documents well in advance before you complete your Master's degree since we cannot guarantee that documents handed in late can be considered in time for the following Graduation Ceremony.

B) Exchange studies outside the exchange programme (free movers)

To make sure the freemover exchange studies can be included to your Hanken degree send an e-mail to the Office of Study Affairs, ann-helen.paivinen(at), in which you include the name and location of the university and proof about the university’s accreditation. The university has to be approved by the Dean at Hanken. After the Dean has made his/her decision you will be informed about it by e-mail. Please make sure to contact The Office of Study Affairs well in advance since the process might take several weeks.

When you have completed your free mover-studies you need to apply for transfer of credits by sending an e-mail to studycounsellor-hki(at) Please include the name of the university and attach the course descriptions for courses you want to apply to be transferred. You will then get information about how to proceed. Please make sure to contact The Office of Study Affairs well in advance since the process might take several weeks.

C) Other studies completed abroad

If you have completed courses (that are not exchange studies) abroad please send an email to The Office of Study Affairs, ann-helen.paivinen(a), for further instructions. Make sure to iclude the following information in your email: the name of the university and country, time when the course/courses were completed and course descriptions. Please make sure to contact The Office of Study Affairs well in advance since the process might take several weeks.