The right to study is limited for most students. You can check the extent of your study right in WebOodi under Personal Data. The study rights are valid until the end of a semester, that is either until 31.7. or 31.12.
Study Right for Degree Studies
The Rector grants the right to study within a degree programme at Hanken. The right to study at Hanken is granted upon application and by certain application procedures. The following academic degrees can be completed at Hanken:
- Bachelor of Science in Economics (in Swedish only)
- Master of Science in Economics
- Licentiate of Science in Economics
- Doctor of Science in Economics and Business Administration
- Doctor of Philosophy.
You can only be given the right to study for one degree of a certain level at the School. You are entitled to apply to the Rector outside the normal admission procedures for permission to revert to a right to study that you have previously exchanged for another one.
Termination of study right
Degree students can give up their study right at Hanken School of Economics and thereby be removed from the student register. The decision is irrevocable and if you wish to continue your studies at Hanken School of Economics you must regain a new study right and undergo the application procedure.
If you wish to terminate your study right, please fill in a form and hand it in to the Service Point in Helsinki or to the Office of Study Affairs in Vaasa.
Changing from a discontinued Master's degree programme to another
Some of Hanken’s Master’s programmes in English have been discontinued or replaced with new programmes, or tracks within new programmes. Students of the discontinued programmes can finish their degree in the original programme up until 31.7.2017. Students of the Master’s programme in Quantitative Finance can finish their degree in the programme until 31.7.2020. After this the students are referred to the closest replacing programme or major.
Students can also, upon request, be transferred to the new programmes during the transition period:
- Students of the Master’s programme in Marketing can apply to transfer to the track Marketing within the Master’s programme in Business and Management.
- Students of the Master’s programme in International Management and Strategy (MIMS) and the Master’s programme in International Strategy and Sustainability (MISS) can apply to transfer to the track International Strategy and Sustainability within the Master’s programme in Business and Management.
- Students of the Master’s programme in Financial Economics can apply to transfer to the track Financial Markets, Investments and Asset Management within the Master’s programme in Finance and Accounting.
- Students enrolled on older discontinued programmes should contact email@example.com if they wsh to transfer to another programme.
If you wish to change from a discontinued programme, fill out this form. When your application has been processed, your study right will be updated in the study register Oodi automatically.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changing from one Master's Degree Programme/Programme track to another
It is possible to apply for changing master's degree programme or to change from one programme track to another. If you want to switch programme or programme track, you should do the following:
- Before you can apply for change of programme, you have to have completed studies at Hanken with good results.
- Contact the Planning Officer for the admission to the Master's Degree Programmes at email@example.com providing the information to which Master's Degree Programme/Programme track you wish to change.
- The Planning Officer will inform the Programme manager for the Master's Degree Programme in question and send your original application and enclosures to the Programme manager as well as a transcript of your studies at Hanken for evaluation.
- The programme manager will determine whether you fulfill the academic requirements for the programme/programme track. For a change between programmes the programme manager will also determine if there is space available on the programme. If the programme manager wishes to, he or she can invite the applicant for a discussion about the possible switch.
- The programme manager informs the student and the Planning Officer via e-mail whether or not the switch has been approved or not. If the switch was approved, the programme manager writes a signed approval confirming the switch which is e-mailed to the Office of Study Affairs.
- For change between programme tracks:
The programme managers approval is the final decision regarding the application. The change of track will be registered in the study register Oodi by the Office of Study Affairs.
For changes between programmes:
If the application was approved by the programme manager, the student writes a motivation letter describing why he or she wants to change from one programme to another. The motivation letter should be directed to the Rector. Please, e-mail the motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rector of Hanken School of Economics will make a decision and the Office of Study Affairs will notify you of the outcome of your application. If the application was approved the change of programme will be registred in the study register Oodi by the Office of Study Affairs.