Grading of studies

Grading of studies

The student should demonstrate that he or she has acquired the knowledge and skills set out as the learning goals for a course by completing the course as outlined in the description of the course. An examiner (or several examiners) will be appointed for each course. The examiner is in charge of delivering the course and of assessing the completed course components.

The courses and modules within the basic, intermediate and advanced studies are assessed according to a percentage scale, where 50 per cent is required for passing. The percentage scale for passed, completed courses corresponds to the five-point scale of excellent, very good, good, satisfactory and sufficient.

90-100 E = Excellent
80-89 VG = Very Good
70-79 G = Good
60-69 S = Satisfactory
50-59 SU = Sufficient
0-49 F = Fail

A final grade for the degree certificate is calculated for the major and minor study modules on the basis of the average for qualitatively assessed completed courses weighted per credit. Advanced courses have a double weighting. The bachelor's or master's thesis is not included in the weighted final grade; the grade for a thesis is given separately.

Grades that have been assessed qualitatively according to the above-mentioned scale cannot be changed to the grade "pass". Completed courses can also not be removed from the study register upon the student's request.

Legal protection concerning grading

A student has the right to know how the assessment criteria have been applied to his or her academic work (University Decree 115/1998 § 16 subsection 2.). Academic work includes all the theses, lectures and written or verbal exams which are a part of the curriculum. Requests for rectification may be submitted, orally or in writing, to the instructor who carried out the assessment within 14 days after the student has had access to the results. It is important to make clear to the instructor that it is a question not only about gathering information. If it is clearly a request for rectification and the instructor does not accept the request, the student may submit the matter to the university's examining board. This should be done in writing within 14 days after the student received the instructor's decision.

Written academic work will be kept for six months from the date of the publication of results. Students have the right to obtain copies of their academic work at their own expense.