Action Plan against Academic Dishonesty
Hanken promotes good scientific practice in research as well as studies and works against cheating and academic dishonesty inter alia through the Action Plan against Academic Dishonesty.
Academic dishonesty in studies includes
- plagiarism: if you use sources without correct reference or copy other students' work
- cheating: if you use unauthorized tools during an exam or look at other students' answers
- other dishonesty or other unauthorized acts or tools in conjunction with the studies
You should always use correct references to texts or other materials that you use as sources. If you don't, you are guilty of plagiarism. Plagiarism is a form of academic dishonesty, and to avoid it you need to master a reference technique.
All Master's and Doctoral theses are plagiarism controlled with the help of programmes for plagiarism detection.
Cheating during exams
- you are only allowed to bring with you your ID, pens and what possible materials or aids that are explicitly mentioned on the exam paper
- it is forbidden to talk, share materials or use any help not explicitly mentioned on the exam paper
- the exam supervisor has the right to immediately end a student's exam if s/he is caught cheating or is intentionally creating a disturbance.
In cases of academic dishonesty Hanken's Action Plan against Academic Dishonesty will be followed.
If you are suspected of academic dishonesty the examiner must hear you and inform you about the possible consequenses. If you are caught cheating during an exam the exam supervisor can end your exam immediately.
All serious cases of academic dishonesty (for example all dishonesty in thesis work) or cases that are seen as precedents will be dealt with by the school's disciplinary board.
Cheating and academic dishonesty generally leads to failing the course. A student who is found guilty of such an offence or other disturbance can in accordance with the Universities Act be given a written warning or be suspended for a fixed period. If a visiting student is found guilty of academic dishonesty the home university may be notified.