How do I find an apartment?
Degree students at Hanken are responsible for arranging for their own accommodation.
Finding suitable accommodation in the Helsinki region can be challenging, so we advise you to start looking right after receiving your welcome package. The rental level is can be (approx. 700€ for a studio apartment in Helsinki) due to a lack of housing in the region. The peak time is at the beginning of the academic year.
Apartment hunting advice:
- Apply early and reserve time for finding an apartment!
- Apply for apartments simultaneously through various channels
- If you are offered a suitable apartment, accept the offer instead of waiting for a better one - the real estate market is fast-paced
- Be flexible regarding location - it is easier to find an apartment outside the centre and campus area
- Remember to cancel unnecessary applications after finding an apartment
Remember that it is easy to travel around the Helsinki region: the public transport system is ranked among the best in Europe! You can check the transport connections from your apartment to the city centre or campus area on HSL's Journey Planner.
Apply for housing through the Foundation for student housing:
HOAS also has a Facebook page where you can ask them questions.
Not all students are able to get housing through HOAS. Around 50 % of the international students in the Helsinki metropolitan area live in HOAS housing.
To encourage student-to-student rentals, Hanken has joined HousingAnywhere, a platform where people can rent out their rooms to international students. It originally started as a platform where outgoing exchange students could rent out their apartment to incoming exchange students, but it has expanded since. Note: be critical of the rental prices and compare them to those of the private market to avoid overpaying for rent.
Other useful housing links:
- CIMO - Centre for International Mobility
- VVO - private agency offering housing for rent/sale
- SATO - private agency offering housing for rent/sale
- Vuokraovi - online marketplace for rental properties
- Craigslist - marketplace for apartments and other things in Finland
- Expat Finland - site with useful information for expatriates in Finland (accommodation information also included)
- Facebook groups:
Property search terms in Finland:
|Alue||Region (e.g. Uusimaa)|
|Aluetarkennus||District (e.g. Helsinki)|
|Huoneluku||Number of rooms (often shortened to 1h, 2h etc.)|
|Kerrostalo||Block of flats|
|Maakunta||Province (e.g. Uusimaa)|