Pre-travel tips

It is important to make sure all the practical arrangements are taken care of in order to get an as convenient internship experience as possible.

Familiarize yourself early on with the needed arrangements for working in your destination country, so that you can concentrate on getting most out of the internship period and feel safe during your stay.  


Career Services strongly recommend that you see to your insurance before departure. Make sure you have an valid insurance with sufficient coverage. Should the internship during your Bachelor level studies, you are insured by Hanken, but you need also to personally see too that you have an liability insurance. In all other cases, you, or alternatively the receiving organisation, are responsible for insurance. Please note that a travel insurance usually only covers a period of 3 months abroad and doesn't include liability insurance. If you are in an employment contract with your internship provider, you may already be insured by the company. Contact Career Service prior to departure to ensure you get your insurance if the internship constitutes your compulsory semester abroad.

If you are covered by the EU social security coordination and will be temporary working in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, it is recommended to also apply for an European Health Insurance Card

Travel safety

Always follow local laws and regulations, and respect local religions. It is recommended to familiarize yourself with overall safety issues and cultural or political factors that could affect the security situation of the destination country. EU citizens can for instance get information through the Consular Protection site by the European Commission. Look up the contact information for the nearest embassy or consulate you can turn to in case you need help abroad.

Accommodation abroad

Housing Anywhere is a housing platform through which interns and exchange students can rent out their apartment/room to an incoming intern or exchange student. It is a non-profit, student-to-student housing platform. Through Housin Anywhere, you can rent your apartment to an incoming exchange student/intern through for the time that you yourself are abroad. Similarly, you can find accommodation during your international internship/exchange studies through the platform. Read more on