Recidence permit

Share page with AddThis
Recidence permit

As an exchange student at Hanken, for either the autumn or the spring semester you are going to stay for longer than three months in Finland and, hence, you must apply for a student residence permit. Ctizens of the Nordic countries are exempted and do not need a residence permit for their stay as a student in another Nordic country.

For more information, please visit the website of the Finnish Immigration Service at

Application before entering Finland:
International students who have been offered admission to Hanken will be issued an Acceptance letter that is needed for the application of a residence permit. Citizens from other than the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland must obtain a student residence permit before entering Finland. You apply by submitting an application form accompanied by the Acceptance letter as well as documents verifying financial resources to the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Finland, find these at / > Diplomatic missions. The processing time of the application for a residence permit varies, but could take months. Therefore we strongly recommend that the admitted student submit an application for a residence permit immediately upon receipt of the Acceptance letter (May or November respectively).

Through e-service of the Finnish Immigration Service you can access residence permit applications related to studies in the case of both the first permit and extended permits.

A residence permit will not be issued unless the candidate can prove that he/she has sufficient funds to support him- or herself during the entire period of studies in Finland, either through a grant or through other funds. The applicant must have a minimum of EUR 500 per month at his or her disposal. In some cases the applicant can show that that the funds are available for transfer from the home country to Finland by means of reliable banking connection.

Application (registering) after entering Finland:
Citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland do not need a residence permit to enter Finland but they must register their right to reside in Finland if their stay lasts longer than three months. A student residence permit should be registered after arrival in Finland. Do it online in the e-service Enter Finland