The electronic application form and all documents 1-8 mentioned below are mandatory for all applicants to the Hanken PhD Programme. You can attach the documents when you fill the application form. The documents mentioned in number 6 shall be sent by regular mail. Contact details below.
Officially certified copies of your degree diplomas, transcripts of records and Diploma Supplement must be sent directly to Hanken by regular post/courir. The documents shall reach Hanken by 4 pm on the last day of the application round. You can also submit electronic copies of the documents, but please note that the documents must be posted in order to be processed.
1. Copy of your passport
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Statement of Purpose
In the statement you should include:
- motivation / reasons for applying to doctoral studies, and for applying to Hanken in particular
- in relation to your research plan / description of the intended field of research, describe how the intended major's research profile fits your research interests
- information on your future plans
- funding plan
- any other information you want Hanken to consider when evaluating your motivation, ability and potential to pursue doctoral studies
4. Research Proposal
Every applicant should submit a Research Proposal or a short description of the intended field of research. For more information, please see Advice on Setting up a Research Proposal
5. Academic Text
- You should be the sole author to the text (or at least it should be clear which part you have written)
- The text should be written in English or Swedish (max 7000 words)
- The text can be a previously written text, for example a part of your Master's thesis, or work done in connection with a course taken
- It is important that you are satisfied with the quality of the text
- The content of the text does not have to be connected to the major you are applying for
6. Officially Certified Copies of your Bachelor's and Master's Degree Diplomas and Transcripts of Records, and a Diploma Supplement
Please submit officially certified copies of your Bachelor's and Master's degree diplomas and transcripts of records, and a Diploma Supplement (or other official description of the degree and grading system for the degree in question). Please send these by regular mail to Hanken.
For any university level courses/achievements that are not included in your university level Master's and Bachelor's degrees and which you want to be considered in the evaluation of your application, you must include certified copies of transcripts of records.
What does officially certified mean?
Hanken requires all educational documents to be officially certified. Please check the Country Specific Requirements. If the country where you have conducted your degree is listed you have to follow the country specific requirements for that country. If your institution's country is not on the list you have to follow the general instructions.
Copies of educational documents need to be officially certified (attested). Hanken does not accept regular photocopies of educational documents. The copy needs to have an official stamp and a signature by the certifying officer. Documents can be officially certified either by the awarding institution or a public notary (in Finland Maistraatti).
Please make sure that the documents follow the criteria:
- Copies are taken directly from your original educational documents
- Include every page of your educational documents
- Bear the original stamp of the awarding institution/notary public on each page of the document (e.g. a generic stamp stating only “Certified true copy” will not be accepted)
- Bear the original signature of the certifying officer
If your educational documents are issued in a language other than English, Finnish or Swedish, official translations of them to one of these languages is required. Officially certified copies of the original documents must also be submitted. An official translation must be one of the following:
- Issued by the awarding institution
- An officially certified copy of a translation issued by the awarding institution
- Translated by an official translator
- An officially certified copy of a translation made by an official translator
Each page of an official translation must bear the translator’s stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents. Translations done by the applicant him- or herself are not accepted.
6.1 Provisional Documentation to Enclose if You Graduate after the Application deadline
If you graduate after the application deadline you can apply for admission by enclosing provisional documentation according to the deadline decided for the current admissions round. Please see Instructions for enclosing provisional documentation:
7. GMAT or GRE Test Result
The official GMAT or GRE test result is to be sent directly to Hanken from the test organiser. In order for you to be able to make the request for the official test result to be sent directly to Hanken from the test organiser, the test has to be valid (not older than five years). The test has to be taken, and the request for the official result has to be made before the application deadline. Remember to fill in the date when the test has been taken or will be taken in the electronic application form. In addition, if you already have an unofficial test score report you may attach it to your application or sen it per post or e-mail.
To have the test result sent directly to Hanken please indicate Hanken's code when you make the request:
8. Certificate of Knowledge of Swedish or English
Please see the Language Requirements for types of certificates to submit or test results required. If you need to submit a language proficiency test result, it has to be taken no later than the application deadline. In case the organiser of the test has to be requested to send the official score report to Hanken, the request has to be made before the application deadline. You may, in addition, attach an unofficial score report to your application in case you already have one, or send it per post or e-mail. In order to be considered for admission, the certificate / score report has to be official, valid, and fulfil the language requirements (including minimum scores).
NB! The certificate for exemption from the language test requirement shall also be posted with the degree documents.
9. Major Specific Enclosures
In addition to the above mentioned mandatory documents for all applicants, please also see possible Major Specific Requirements and include documents accordingly.
10. Letter of Recommendation
We encourage you to submit at least one academic Letter of recommendation. The author of that letter should either send it directly to Hanken's Doctoral Studies Coordinator by the application deadline, or give it to the applicant in a sealed and signed envelope in order to be submitted together with the rest of the application. The same person can be one of the academic references you give in the application form.
11. Additional enclosures
You may also enclose additional documentation that you wish to bring forward.
Hanken School of Economics
Doctoral Studies Coordinator
P.O. Box 479
Hanken School of Economics
Doctoral Studies Coordinator