Get a Phd in Business and Economics
Why a PhD at Hanken? We offer you:
- A 4-year PhD programme leading to a degree that will prepare you for a career at top universities, research institutions, and companies.
- Financial support - 2-year salaried position including health care, and support in finding funding for years 3-4. We do not charge tuition fees.
- An international, world-class research environment
- Experienced supervisors at the cutting edge of their research fields
- Individually tailored guidance and studies
- Flexible and supportive service
- Access to prominent international networks
- Study in Finland, the happiest country on earth - either in downtown Helsinki, or in the energy capital of the North, Vaasa (west coast).
- NEW for 2019: Streamlined admission opportunity for excllent applicants who have a master's degree from EU/EEA countries: No GMAT/GRE test required
Who we are
Hanken is a leading, top-5 university business school in the Nordics – featuring the triple-crown accreditation (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA). Our research ranks in top 5 among Scandinavian/Nordic business schools in terms of research published in top journals of business and economics, and in top 10 of all universities in the world in terms of research citation rate.
Who you are
We welcome applications from research-oriented students holding a Master’s degree; Masters with other than business study background are also warmly welcomed to apply (e.g., masters in statistics, psychology, systems analysis, industrial engineering).
The PhD studies are in English (Finnish or Swedish language are not needed in studies).
Please notice that many of the majors welcome you to apply to their programme even if you had a Master’s degree from a whole different discipline. For instance, you may apply to:
- the Marketing major with a Master’s degree in psychology, sociology, social anthropology, management, economics, information/computer science, statistics, systems analysis, or industrial engineering (besides a MSc in marketing)
- the Supply Chain Management & Social Responsibility major with industrial engineering, systems analysis, transport economics, transport geography, disaster management, development studies, humanitarian studies, corporate social responsibility, environmental management, or technology management (besides a MSc in SCM)
- the Commercial Law major with a Master’s degree in law, sociology, political science, philosophy, literature, language, medicine, biology, physics, engineering, or technology management (besides a MSc in Law)
- the Accounting major with a Master’s degree in finance (besides a MSc in accounting)
- the Finance major with a Master’s degree in econometrics, statistics, mathematics, or physics (besides a MSc in finance)
- the Management and Organisation with a Master’s degree with any relevant discipline (besides a MSc in management/organisations)
- the Economics major with a Master’s degree with any relevant discipline (besides a MSc in economics)
Notice that although the majors welcome applications from Masters of a variety of disciplines, most majors require the applicant to have some background studies/courses done within the major (or related to the major).
New for 2019: The GMAT/GRE test no longer mandatory for applicants who have a master's degree from EU/EEA countries
If your qualifying (Master's) degree is completed in the EU/EEA, and has a GPA (grade point average) of at least B (US grading scale) or "Good", you do not have to do the GMAT/GRE test. But NOTE: if you have your qualifying (Master's) degree from outside the EU/EEA countries, you still need to submit a GMAT/GRE test.
The next steps
We welcome applications from people with a wide variety of academic backgrounds (e.g. economics, business, political science, psychology, sociology, and engineering).
The next application round is 2 September- 27 September 2019 at 3 pm (studies start in January 2020)
Read about the programme structure and funding
The Hanken PhD Programme corresponds to four years of full-time studies, during which you produce a doctoral thesis (180 credit points) and complete 60 ECTS credit points of coursework.
Read more about the programme through the links at the bottom of the page.
Read about the application process
Please read the instructions carefully and ascertain that you fulfil the General Requirements and possible Major Specific Requirements for admission to doctoral studies.
Contact us with any questions
If you are unsure whether the discipline/background of your Master’s degree qualifies you to apply to that major, or whether your research topic would be suitable for the major - please contact the PhD programme coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD Application Newsletter
Keep yourself up to date with our admissions by subscribing to our Application Newsletter! Fill in the form below to receive useful information, reminders and invitations to webinars.