Master's studies in Financial Analysis and Business Development
The combination of accounting and finance together with governance and commercial law will give you a comprehensive view of:
- managing assets in global financial markets with multiple sources of risk
- measuring, creating, and managing corporate value
- analyzing profitability and value creation of businesses
- international accounting practices and regulations
- securing sustainable business practices and continued trust from all stakeholders
- Finance - Investment management and corporate finance
- Accounting - International accounting and business sustainability
- Governance and Commercial Law - Supporting business development
Upon graduation you will
- have the skills to measure and manage business risk
- know how to secure sustainable financing
- be able to apply asset valuation and investment management principles
- analyse profitability and value creation of businesses
- understand international accounting practices and regulations
- understand the importance of credible financial reporting
Facts about the specialisation
- 120 credits, 2 years of full-time study
- Language: English
- Next application round opens: 17 October 2017
- Degree: MSc in Economics and Business Administration
- Location: Helsinki
Why Financial Analysis and Business Development?
Our specialisation in Financial Analysis and Business Development develops the necessary skills for you to pursue a successful career in investment management or corporate financial management. The combination of accounting, finance, and corporate governance and commercial law, offers you a comprehensive view of how to ensure financing and manage assets in global financial markets. It also teaches you how international accounting practices and regulations help secure sustainable business practices and continued trust from stakeholders.
You can choose from three specialisation tracks, including several electives that offer flexibility within the studies:
Finance - Financial markets, investments and asset management
Within the Finance track of the specialisation you will focus on the aforementioned core areas and developing key competencies such as:
- a solid understanding of fundamental theories in financial economics
- learning how financial markets function and how they influence the allocation of resources in a global economy
- knowledge and skills in asset valuation, pricing and management of risk, wealth management, derivative pricing, and corporate finance
- the strong analytical and communicative skills necessary for business, as well as academic careers. You will also develop research skills essential for students pursuing doctoral level studies.
- an understanding of sustainability and ethical behaviour
Accounting - International accounting and business sustainability
Within the Accounting track of the specialisation you will focus on the following core areas:
- how sustainable business is formed and maintained
- how accounting regulation can support sustainability
- how accounting regulation and practices support profitability and growth structures of businesses
Governance and Commercial Law
Within the Governance and Commercial Law track of the specialisation you will focus on:
- how legal restrictions and regulations shape existing business
- how taxation impacts different types of businesses
- hard and soft principles by which corporations are governed
- international differences in legal systems
Courses and the outline of studies
Below you may find the course plan. It includes obligatory and elective courses, as well as information about which year each course is recommended to be completed.
During your studies, you will be engaged in interactive corporate case studies, where real problems are solved together with market professionals. The learning process culminates in an invididually written, in-depth master's thesis within the field of your track.
As a student of the Accounting or Finance track of this specialisation you also have the opportunity to top up your degree with the QTEM certificate (Quantitative Techniques for Economics and Management). This is your opportunity to earn a degree within a network of leading business schools and corporate partners. All partners are committed to developing global talent with strong quantitative competencies, analytical skills, international and intercultural experience, and management potential.
Future career opportunities
70 % of Hanken students have a job prior to graduation. In 2014, a percentage as large as 98 % of the graduating class had a job 3 months after graduation. For more information concerning career opportunities visit Career Services at Hanken and explore career profiles.