Fees and funding

Information about tuition fees and scholarships for students, required funds for immigration, and employment while studying.

Tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students

Non-EU/EEA students admitted in 2018 to the Master's Degree Programme in English are required to pay tuition fees at all universities in Finland. There are certain exemptions:

The fees will not concern those non-EU/EEA students who

  • are family members of an EU/EEA citizen (spouse/child; "EU –Family Memb" stated on the recidence permit card)
  • are already residing in Finland on a permanent basis (i.e. are equivalent to EU citizens, continuous (A) or permanent (P/P-EU) residence permit type)

More information concerning the extemptions to the requirement of tuition fee is found in the national application portal StudyInfo.

Hanken also offers a comprehensive scholarship system to support fee-paying students. (see details below)

For EU citizens university education is free of charge. All students regardless of nationality are, however, obliged to pay an annual student union membership fee of approximately 120 euro.

Tuition fee

The fee for non-EU/EEA students at Hanken is 12500 EUR/year.

Hanken's Scholarship Scheme

Applying for a scholarship will not affect your application to the Master's Degree Programme. The scholarships at Hanken are merit-based.

Scholarships offered to fee paying students:

Hanken Premium Scholarship:
Covers the full tuition fee and 8000 EUR/year living expenses

Hanken Honours Scholarship:
Covers the full tuition fee

Hanken Support Scholarship:
Covers 50% of the tuition fee

Scholarships offered to non-paying students:

A cost-of-living scholarship (2000 EUR) may also be granted to non-paying students.

All scholarships are awarded based on the applicant's academic excellence.

Applying for the scholarships is integrated with the application for Master's Degree studies. Please visit the application portal in order to apply the the Master's degree programme.

Immigration requirements concerning funding

Applicants must ensure that they have adequate funds to support themselves financially through their entire period of study in Finland. In order to be granted a residence permit, non-EU/EEA citizens are required to show that they have at least 6720 EUR/year or 560 EUR/month at their disposal.

See further information on the Finnish Immigration Service page. International students who cannot show proof of sufficient funds for living expenses during their studies in Finland will not obtain a residence permit.

Working during your studies

The Master's Degree Programme at Hanken is composed of full-time studies and therefore students should not plan to work while studying. During the semester, non-EU citizens studying in Finland are, however, allowed to work up to 25 hours/week with their student residence permit. During holidays, (specifically the summer and Christmas holidays) there is no such limitation and students are able to work full-time.