To-do list

Moving From Abroad to Finland

What to Remember When Moving From Abroad to Finland

Below you will find a list of things you should do both before and after your arrival. Please remember that the list below is not conclusive and that regulations may change. Please find out what regulations applies to your specific situation when moving from your home country/country of residence to Finland.

Before Arrival:

Please accept the admissions offer and register as present for the upcoming academic year. Please see the Letter of Acceptance for detailed instructions.

MIGRI - The Finnish Immigration Service

Apply for a residence permit (applies only to non-EU and non-EEA citizens, and non-Swiss citizens)

SIP Student Insurance Program

Apply for insurance for students


After arrival

Poliisi - Police office

Do a registration for the right of residence (applies only to citizens of EU, EEA and Switzerland)

Maistraatti - The Local Register Office

Make a notification of move to Finland
Apply for a Finnish personal identity number

KELA - The Social Insurance Institution of Finland

Apply for eligibility for Finnish social security benefits

MELA - Farmers' Social Insurance Institution

Apply for social security for grant- and scholarship holders