What health insurance do I need?

Read about the type of health insurance you need. The requirements may vary based on where you are from.

Health insurance

All students arriving in Finland must be fully insured during their entire stay, as well as during their travel to and from Finland.

  • Nationals of an EU/EEA/Nordic country:
    • your national health care insurance is valid in Finland.
    • Note! It is mandatory for you to bring with you a personal European Health Insurance Card issued by your home country. You should also contact your local health authority and insurance agency in order to make sure that you are fully covered in case of illness or accident.
    • The Student Health Care Services in Finland also require students from EU/EEA to display the European Health Insurance Card on every appointment at the Student Health Care Services. More info on the requirement to display the European Health Insurance Card is found on the FSHS page.
  • Nationals from outside EU/EEA: 
    • you need to have your own medical insurance. A valid insurance is also a pre-requisite for the residence permit.

In addition to health insurance, we strongly advise students to insure their personal possessions against theft, loss, or breakage and acquire a travel insurance before arriving in Finland.

If you are required to acquire a international health insurance for your recidence permit application, the Finnish Immigration Services recommends that you acquire a health insurance from a large international Insurance company since such insurances are processed without delay at the Finnish Immigration Services and are a safe option.

The following insurance providers for example offer international health insurances for students: