What health insurance do I need?

Read about the type of health insurance you need. The requirements may vary based on where you are from.

Health insurance

All students arriving in Finland must be fully insured during their entire stay, as well as during their travel to and from Finland.

  • Nationals of an EU/EEA/Nordic country:
    • your national health care insurance is valid in Finland. To prove this, you must bring with you a European Health Insurance Card issued by your home country. If you are from a country where this card is not yet available, bring an E-128 (or E-111) form from your local health authority with you instead. You should also contact your local health authority and insurance agency in order to make sure that you are fully covered in case of illness or accident.
  • Nationals from outside EU/EEA: 
    • ​​​​​​​you need to have your own medical insurance. A valid insurance is also a pre-requisite for the residence permit.

In addition to health insurance, we strongly advise students to insure their personal possessions against theft, loss, or breakage and acquire a travel insurance before arriving in Finland.

If you are required to acquire a international health insurance for your recidence permit application, the Finnish Immigration Services recommends that you acquire a health insurance from a large international Insurance company since such insurances are processed without delay at the Finnish Immigration Services and are a safe option.

The following insurance providers for example offer international health insurances for students:

All Master's students are required to become members of the student union. Membership is optional for doctoral students.

A health care fee is included in the student union's membership fee, which means that members are entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS, also known as YTHS). As a degree student at Hanken, you are entitled to use the Student Health Service (YTHS) when you join the Hanken Student union (SHS.fi) and receive the Student ID-card. Consultation, general treatment and vaccinations are free or highly subsidized at the Student Health Service. For specialists' appointment and dental treatment there is inexpensive treatment through Student Health Services YTHS. However, the Student health Service doesn't offer emergency and hospital services.

In case of illness during the weekend, you can turn to the municipal health care centres. To be able to get service, students from EU countries need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card from a health insurance service in their home country. Students from non-EU/EEA countries must arrange for a health insurance before departure - this insurance must have a sufficient coverage.