Pre-travel tips

It is important to make sure all the practical arrangements are taken care of so you can have a smooth internship experience.

Familiarize yourself early on with the needed arrangements for working in your destination country, so that you can concentrate on getting most out of the internship period and feel safe during your stay.  


Before departure, make sure you have a valid insurance with sufficient coverage. Should you perform an internship as the obligatory semester abroad during your Bachelor level studies, you will be insured by Hanken for health and accident insurance. However, Hanken does not offer liability insurance, which is required if you travel to an EU country for internship. In many cases the employer offers it, so it's good to check with them first. If not, you need to personally make sure that you have a liability insurance. You can start by checking with your insurance company. Suomen Ekonomit (The Finnish Business School Graduates), also offers the s.k. KylteriPlus extra service package, which costs you a little bit, but will include among other things a liability insurance. 
In the case that your internship is your obligatory semester abroad, Career Services will send you your insurance documents by post once you have uploaded your Grant Agreement to the Mobility Online portal. 

In the case that you are not performing your internship as your obligatory semester abroad, you, or alternatively the receiving organisation, are responsible for your insurance. Please note that a travel insurance usually only covers a period of 3 months abroad and doesn't include liability insurance. If you are in an employment contract with your internship provider, you may already be insured by the company. If you are covered by the EU social security coordination and will be temporary working in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, it is recommended to also apply for an European Health Insurance Card

Travel safety

Always follow local laws and regulations, and respect local religions. It is recommended to familiarize yourself with overall safety issues and cultural or political factors that could affect the security situation of the destination country. EU citizens can for instance get information through the Consular Protection site by the European Commission. Look up the contact information for the nearest embassy or consulate you can turn to in case you need help abroad.

Accommodation abroad

Housing Anywhere is a housing platform through which interns and exchange students can rent out their apartment/room to an incoming intern or exchange student. It is a non-profit, student-to-student housing platform. Through Housin Anywhere, you can rent your apartment to an incoming exchange student/intern through for the time that you yourself are abroad. Similarly, you can find accommodation during your international internship/exchange studies through the platform. Read more on