23083 Advertising and Promotion Planning, 4 cr
The world of media is vastly different than it was even 10 years ago. This course provides a practical introduction to the advertising and promotion planning process in today’s media environment. During the course, students will focus on how to research, select, and buy advertising media as well as creating and presenting an advertising plan. A fundamental understanding of how media planning, research and buying works is essential for any student who seeks a career in marketing, advertising, or communication.
You will be acquainted with the basics of planning advertising and making communication channel choices. You will also become familiar with the strategical and tactical goals of advertising and how to critically assess these.
- identify the roles of different players in the advertising and marketing communication field
- identify the process steps in advertising planning, including briefing, budgeting, selling/purchasing, planning and scheduling
- plan advertising and marketing promotion
- make basic budget decisions in media purchasing
107 hours divided into
- scheduled contact hours: 14 (in class)
- non-scheduled work: 93 (assignments)
Lectures, guest lectures, team assignment, individual assignment
Katz, H. E. (2017). The media handbook: A complete guide to advertising media selection, planning, research, and buying. 6th edition. New York: Routledge. ISBN: 9781138689169
Team assignment 70 %
Individual assignment 30 %