17025 Strategic Growth Investing , 5 sp
This course develops a framework for understanding growth from a (i) strategic management perspective and an (ii) investor perspective. Strategic concepts as well as the role of the industry and nonmarket environments are dealt with. The course also explores the role of financial statements as a channel for information from companies to investors and capital markets. Students apply the frameworks by doing investment analyses of business ventures presented at the Slush seminar in Helsinki.
You can analyze firm growth both from a strategic management and an investor perspective.
- analyze the strategic and organizational aspects of start-ups,
- critically examine firm strategies and financial statements when forecasting the future development of a growing firm, and
- apply growth investing by being able to identify investment opportunities and make investment decisions.
Problem solving in an international business environment.
Only Hanken degree students on Master’s level with finance or management and organization as their major subject, or students within the English specialisation Financial Analysis and Business Development.
Student registration only by permission from the examiner (Hanken degree students only). The selection is based on a motivational letter and the student’s previous study performance. Active interaction between students, teachers and guest lecturers play an important role in this course, and participation in the Slush event either live or through the live stream at Hanken is expected.
Completed Bachelor’s thesis.
Exercises 10 h (including investment case and Slush sessions)
Exam 4 h
Preparing for exam and evaluating business ventures 106 h
134 hours divided into
Scheduled (contact) hours: 28 h
Non-scheduled work: 106 h
First or second year of Master's studies.
- Greenwald, B. C. N. & Kahn, J. (2005). Competition Demystified: A Radically Simplified Approach to Business Strategy. Penguin Group (USA). Selected parts. ISBN: 9781591841807
- Saloner, G., Podolny, J. M. & Shepard, A. (2001). Strategic management. New York: John Wiley. Selected parts.
- Koller, T., Goedhart, M. H., Wessels, D. & McKinsey & Company. (2015). Valuation: Measuring and managing the value of companies. 6. ed., university ed. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley. Selected parts.
- Finance and strategy articles assigned by examiners.
Students who have completed the earlier course Strategic Growth Investing 8 ECTS, course code 17009/22039) cannot take this course.
This course has separate codes for the finance (17025) and management and organisation (22047) programs. This means that you only take one of them.