Study Abroad

Here you find information about exchange studies.

Welcome, this is your opportunity to apply for and go abroad on exchange studies! You are about to do something that you won't regret, and experience things that will give you memories for life. Please begin to plan your exchange studies by reading the information under Study Abroad. In the menu on the right you will find more information on how to apply, when to apply etc.

If you have questions you can contact the International Coordinator. You can also visit the Coordinator during office hours. The office hours in Helsinki are found under Contact information. The office hours in Vasa are a few times per semester -The exact dates are informed separately.

Hanken’s exchange programmes

Erasmus+ programme within the European Union



In Europe Hanken has signed bilateral student exchange agreements with universities within the frame of the European Union’s Erasmus-programme. This programme has participants from 33 different European countries and is generally considered to be a very successful project since its’ start in 1987. Approximately 3 million students have so far gone on exchange through the Erasmus programme.

Apart from the student exchange, the Erasmus programme also comprises placement-, teacher- and staff exchange. The European Union offers grants for these different types of mobilities to such universities that have gained a so called "Erasmus Charter for Higher Education" (ECHE). That means that Hanken annually obtains funds from the European Commission for students that go on exchange to another European university that Hanken has a student exchange agreement with. The student automatically obtains the grant through the home university without having to apply for it separately.

In Finland the Finnish National Agency for Education ( is responsible for the European Union’s education and youth programmes.

For more information about Erasmus+ please check the European Commission’s web site.

Hanken's Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE) 2021-2027:

Hanken's Erasmus Policy Statement:

Nordplus programme within the Nordic countries

In the Nordic countries there is the Nordic Council of Ministers’ programme called Nordplus. Co-operation between the Nordic universities is encouraged, among other things, through the issuing of grants for exchange studies. The Nordplus-programme has a specific network for schools of economics and for universities offering business studies. This network is called Norek. Hanken receives grants on a yearly basis for student exchange through the Norek-network. The grant is always issued through the home-university, which means that the student does not individually have to apply for the grant. With some Nordic universities Hanken has both a Nordplus- and an Erasmus-agreement. This means that students that go on exchange to a Nordic country can receive either a Nordplus- or an Erasmus grant. Read more about Nordplus.

Agreements with universities outside the European Union

Hanken has signed similar bilateral agreements of student exchange with universities outside the European Union, even if they do not belong to a specific program like Nordplus or Erasmus. The student exchange works in the same way as with the European universities and Hanken has its own funding for exchange grants at non-European universities. These grants are automatically received by the students that do their exchange period at a partner university outside Europe.

What are Exchange Studies All About?

The duration of exchange studies vary from a minimum of three months to a maximum of four to six months depending on the length of the semester at the partner university. The possibility to go on an exchange and the scholarships offered are primarily intended for students who can include them in their degree at Hanken. The exchange programme at Hanken requires that your studies abroad correspond to a full course load and full-time studies at the receiving university. Approximately 30 ECTS out of the 120 ECTS in your Master's degree can be completed abroad. If you fail to meet what can be considered to be a full course load for a semester or if you do not complete your stay, you may be obliged to partly or completely reimburse Hanken for the scholarships you've received. You can check the required course load (credits) for each partner university in the Mobility Online Portal under Partner Universities.

When can I go on exchange?

You need to apply for exchange the semester before your planned exchange semester. Plan your exchange well in advance and discuss with the professor responsible for your programme at Hanken when to go. It is very important that you also discuss your choise of courses.

Hanken has application rounds for exchange studies at the partner universities twice a year (in January and June). Please see When can I apply? for information on application deadlines.

What Information Should the Application Contain?

The application is made online and you have to upload certain documents. Take your time to acquaint yourself with the application under How do I apply?

Requirements for Exchange Studies

In order to be able to apply for exchange you have to fullfill certain requirements. The requirements can be found to the left under Requirements. In addition the partner universities may have their own requirements. Information regarding potential requirements can be found under the respective university in the Mobility Online Portal. You have to log in to see the information.

Language requirements

Studies abroad are usually carried out in English (in some cases in other languages). Excellent language skills are necessary; as an exchange student you should be able to follow lectures, complete written and oral tasks, give presentations and do groupwork in the language of instruction. Please consult the Mobility Online Portal for information on the language of instruction at each partner university.

Master students automatically fulfill the the English language requirement. However, please note that some partner universities require a language test in English (TOEFL or IELTS or equivalent). In such cases you have to complete the language test before the Hanken exchange application deadline in order to be considered. Please take the test good in advance before the application deadline.

If you wish to study in another language than English you can demonstrate your language proficiency by completing language courses at Hanken or by taking an officially recognised language test such as DALF, TestDaf etc.

Studies in the Nordic countries: The courses are offered in English.

Studies in English: Good knowledge of English.
Requirements: If you are a Master student you have the required proficiency in English to apply for an exchange within the Hanken exchange programme. However, some partner universities require a language test in English such as TOEFL, IELTS or CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English). You have to reach the test score required by the host university. Please take the test well in advance before the Hanken exchange application deadline.

Studies in French: Good knowledge of French.
Requirements: DALF-test or French V at Hanken or equivalent level.
NB!  When applying you should either have completed or currently be enrolled in the course French V. You need to have passed the course before leaving.

Studies in German: Good knowledge of German.
Requirements: TestDaf, German V at Hanken or equivalent level.
NB!  When applying you should either have completed or currently be enrolled in the course German V. You need to have passed the course before leaving.

Studies in Spanish: Good knowledge of Spanish.
Requirements: DELE-test or Spanish I (A and B), Spanish II (A and B) and one optional course at Hanken.
NB!  When applying you may be enrolled in the optional course and then pass the course before leaving.

Studies in Italian: All exchange students should be able to complete courses taught in Italian.
Requirements: A language certificate from your Italian language teacher.

To find out in what language you can study at different universities, please check the Mobility Online Portal.

Language Tests

There are two main English language tests; TOEFL and IELTS.

More information on the TOEFL-test: the Fulbright Center and

Hanken´s code for completing a TOEFL test:
When completing a TOEFL test you can have the test results sent directly to Hanken by filling in the code 8433 (institution code). At this stage it is not needed to send the test score to your potential host university.

Information on the IELTS-test:,

NB! Take the test well in advance of the application deadline.

The required French language test is called DALF (Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française). The test can be taken at Institut français de Finlande.

More information:

NB! Take the test well in advance of the application dead line.

The German language test is called TestDaf. The test can be taken at Tampereen Yliopisto, Kielikeskus (contact: Brigitte Reuter, brigitte.reuter(at)

NB! Take the test well in advance of the application deadline.

The Spanish language test is called DELE (Diploma de Español como lengua Extranjera). For more information visit:

NB! Take the test well in advance of the application deadline.

How to Choose which Partner University to Attend

Take time to acquaint yourself with the available alternatives well in advance before you apply. You can choose among over 100 partner universities. In your application you have to select 15 alternatives.

To get an overview of Hanken's partner universities:

  1. Contact students who have already spent one semester abroad (contact details are provided by the the International Coordinator).
  2. Discuss with our incoming exchange students about their home universities (contact details are provided by the the International Coordinator).
  3. Read the reports written by former exchange students from Hanken (not all written in English, though). The reports are found to the left under Exchange Reports (you have to log in to see the reports).
  4. Become thoroughly acquainted with the information found on the partner universities' websites. Links to their web sites are found under the heading Partner universities. Please note that the course choice in English can be limited.
  5. Check the universities fact sheets which are often published on their websites under the information for incoming exchange students and in the Mobility Online Portal.

Most universities have direct links on their web sites to the courses open to exchange students. Unfortunately it is not always easy to find more detailed information on courses and actual course descriptions. In most cases you can get a better idea of what is on offer by going through courses given the current year. Since there rarely are any course descriptions as such available on the web, exchange students are in general faced with making their preliminary choice of courses based solely on course titles.

The final choice of courses is made once you have been granted an exchange student position and the receiving university asks you to choose your courses (during spring/summer/autumn). Sometimes the actual final choice of courses isn't made until you have arrived at your destination. Some universities require that you choose and follow a set track/programme of courses. Hence, you may not be allowed to choose your courses freely. It is highly recommended that you study closely the different courses and tracks offered by the partner universities before deciding where to go.

Check the following information in the Mobility Online Portal:

  • Additional Requirements. Is an English language proficiency test required?
  • Level of studies. Please note that some universities are open only for Bachelor students.
  • Semester dates. It is very important that you check the exact semester dates at the respective universities websites. This is often found under Academic Calendar or in the fact sheet of each university. The beginning and duration of semesters at the partner universities are not always the same as at Hanken. At some of Hanken's partner universities the autumn semester starts in October and ends in January-March. This means that students need to go back in January-February to take their exams. The spring semester may start in February to April and ends in June-August. Please take this into account when planning your exchange studies.

More information on different educational systems and structures of university studies in different countries is found in the Finnish National Agency for Education's country guides (only in Finnish) available on

Be open to any possibility. Every student cannot unfortunately get his/her first choise of partner university. Luckily there are many good universities to choose among.

How are the students selected?

The selection process is administered by the Office of International Affairs. The international coordinator for international affairs presents the applications to the Student Mobility Group. The Group consists of one representative from each department, the international coordinator and the exchange programme and partnerships manager and two student representatives (one from Helsinki and the other from Vaasa). The Group's recommendations are presented before the Rector who makes the final decision. The Rector makes her decision based on the selection criteria. The Rector's decision is final and no complaints can be made. The justification for the decision is not made public.

Exchange place only for one semester

The duration of your exchange is one semester only. The exchange semester cannot be extended. Hanken has agreed with the host university regarding the number of exchange students per term. Students are selected through the application round for either fall or spring semester. Even if the host university would agree to prolonging your stay this is unfortunately not possible. Hanken makes the exchange agreements and allocates the available positions, not the student.


All Hanken's partner universities have agreed to help incoming exchange students to find accommodation for their exchange period. This agreement is, however, interpreted in many ways. At best you are handed a key upon arrival. It may, however, also mean that you are simply handed a list of contacts. Usually exchange students stay in the campus dorms, but in some cases you may have to rent an apartment/room on the open market. In these cases you may be handed a list of organizations or people whom you are to contact yourself. You are always responsible for your own accommodation expenses regardless of where you stay. Be prepared to pay a deposit for your accommodation. Please inform the International Coordinator at Hanken and the receiving university if you intend to make accommodation arrangements independently. The receiving university must be informed about this before the deadline they have set for the need for accommodation.

Funding of Exchange Studies

The expenses for going abroad on an exchange vary from country to country. Some expenses that everyone has to cover include: the trip to and from the partner university, accommodation and food, public transport, insurance and possible fees to be paid to the university. Tuition fees are not required of students going abroad on an exchange within Hanken's exchange programme.

All students going on an exchange within the framework of Hanken's exchange programme are entitled to a scholarship. Scholarships are not automatically given to students who have already been abroad once within the Hanken exchange program. The scholarships are intended to function as partial financing of the exchange. The amount of the scholarship can be found in the Mobility Online Portal.

If you have the right to the Kela financial aid you can apply for the study grant and housing allowance for the time that you are studying abroad. You can read more on

You can also visit the following websites: (only in Swedish) to find information about available scholarships. Remember also to follow newspaper for information about scholarships.

Remember that you have nothing to lose by applying for additional scholarships for your exchange studies, but you have everything to gain! You can apply well in advance, even before you know whether you have been accepted or not.

If you choose to study abroad as a freemover (at a university that is not a partner university of Hanken) you will not be entitled to a scholarship from Hanken.

Erasmus+ additional grant for students with families

Funded by the European Union

Students with families that go on exchange within the Erasmus+ program (i.e. to one of Hanken’s partner universities in another EU-country) may get an additional grant amounting to 200 euro/month. The requirement is that the student is a parent to a child under the age of 18. The additional sum may be granted even if the child stays in Finland during the exchange.

If you would like to apply for this additional grant, you need to be able to prove that you are a parent and you also have to fill in a separate application form. Please contact the International coordinator at Hanken ( for more information.

Erasmus+ accessibility grant for students with special needs

Funded by the European Union

Special needs or disabilities do not rule out the opportunity of going on exchange. If you do have a special need/disability you need to contact the International Coordinator at Hanken, outgoing.mobility(at), well in advance of applying for an exchange place. This will enable us to sort out which universities would be appropriate for you to choose between.

Students with special needs that go on exchange within the Erasmus+ program (i.e. to one of Hanken’s partner universities in another EU-country) may apply for an accessibility grant for the exchange period (in addition to the Erasmus grant that all Erasmus students get). Please read the information that the Finnish National Agency for Education has compiled about the accessibility grant within the frame of the Erasmus+ program.

Here you will find information about who is eligible to apply for the accessibility grant and how to apply. You will also find the application form, which is to be filled in both by you and by the International Coordinator at Hanken. It will then be sent by the International Coordinator from Hanken to the Finnish National Agency for Education, who makes the final decision about the approval/disapproval of the application.

Please also read the Finnish National Agency for Education's “Chek list for Exchange Students and Higher Education Institutions” on the above mentioned address.

Erasmus+ additional grant for green travel

Funded by the European Union

The Erasmus+ programme for the period 2021–2027 places special emphasis on inclusion, digitalisation, environmental friendliness and participation in society. One way of promoting environmentally responsible internationalisation is to decrease the carbon footprint of periods abroad by favouring environmentally friendly modes of travel. The programme will also increase the environmental awareness of participants and organisations and their commitment to sustainable development.

From the autumn semester 2022 onwards, students receiving an Erasmus+ grant can apply for a Green Travel top-up if they use environmentally friendly, sustainable means of transport for their trip to and from their host country. Green travel is defined as travel that uses low-emission modes of transport such as bus, rail, or carpooling. Environmentally friendly mobilities are supported with a one-time top-up of 50 euro and up to 4 days of additional individual support to cover for travel days (approx. 16€/day). The top-up travel support is paid after the exchange once the student has submitted an application and a receipt or similar evidence confirming the travel arrangements. Please note that the main part of the travel or at least one direction of the round trip has been made using low-emissions means of transport.

How to apply for the Green Travel top-up
When you have paid for all your travel expenses you should fill out the compensation form below. Fill out the fields under Details of green travel and Travel plan. You do not need to fill out the project number. Remember to also sign the form. Please attach all receipts/other evidence of the means of transport to your application. 

After you have filled out the form send it as well as the receipts to The application must be sent in by 28 February if you were on exchange during the autumn semester. If you were on exchange during the spring semester it must be sent in by 31 July. The Green Travel top-up is paid to the bank account you specified in Mobility Online.

You can read more about the Green Erasmus project here:

How are Credits Transferred at Hanken Upon Return?

Courses completed during exchange studies should be transferred towards your degree at Hanken. Please find more information on the pages on credit transfer.

You can also read more about how to proceed regarding the credit transfer under How do I report?

Learning goals of the exchange programme

All student admitted to the Bachelor's degree programme are required to conduct studies or an internship abroad. However, all students within the Master's degree programmes are encouraged to spend a semester abroad. Within the Hanken exchange programme the students study one semester at one of Hanken's partner universities. The duration of exchange studies vary from 3-6 months depending on the length of the semester at the partner university. The studies abroad correspond to a full course load: 30 ECTS.

Before the credits from your exchange semester can be transferred towards your Hanken degree you have to submit a report in Mobility Online as part of the exchange reporting. In the report you should:

  • Reflect upon how the intercultural experiences (positive and/or negative) during your exchange semester have helped you develop your self-understanding and respect for differences. Give examples and discuss your role in the context.
  • Reflect upon how you could make use of your intercultural experiences in your studies at Hanken and at future workplaces. Give examples.

Assessment criteria

Please reply carefully to the questions. The answers to the two questions above will not be made public, but they will be used for Hanken's Assurance of Learning process. The process is based on Hanken's mission and the learning goals of the exchange programme. To see how you have achieved the learning goals your report will be analysed according to the assessment criteria below. The analysis of the reports will be used as support in developing the student's learning outcome.