Kurser och studieplaner / Nationalekonomi
2646 Economics of Strategy
|Period: 3&4||20.1.2014 - 9.5.2014|
The course prepares students to carry out industry and competition analysis.
Topics considered are:
- Management (of firms) in industries exhibiting strategic interaction between firms
- Implementation of competitive strategies to create above-normal returns
- Strategic price discrimination
- Strategic commitments to create competitive advantage
- Development and use of sustainable market power
- Strategic delegation and optimal firm organisation
- Market dynamics: R & D and network externalities
- The economics of network industries
- Dynamics of industry restructuring
- Interactions with technology policy, industrial policy, competition policy and trade policy
- Outsourcing versus in-house production
After the course the students are able to carry out market analysis focusing on the topics listed above.
In particular, the students understand the effects of strategic competition on market performance and they can decompose these effects into effects on industry profits and consumer welfare.
The course Mikroekonomisk analys is recommended
Lectures and exercises with student presentations
Cabral, L (2000): Introduction to industrial organization. MIT Press.
Lyons, B (ed.) (2008) : Cases in European Competition Policy: The Economic Analysis. Cambridge University Press.
Bedömning och examination
Written examination and course paper